Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies- need your help

Ladies- need your help

I have a fancy event coming up and need to rock a pair of heels. Do you ladies lower your foot plate when you wear heels?
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

everyone i know hooks the heel on the strap by their feet. i cant wear heels :/ feet are too small!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

My legs are freakishly long so it's making my knees really high and then my legs come apart about an inch. I can't stand having my knees apart. Must be touching or it annoys me. Would lowering the foot plate help? My foot rest holds the heels up fine but it makes my knees too high.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

should help.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

What about adjusting the calf strap so the heels are hanging off the back of the footplate? When I wore heels thats how I did it, my heel was behind the foot plate so my legs weren't raised the height of the heel. Only problem I had was at one point due to the flexibility in my ankles my ankle flexed so much that the heel sorta hooked under the footplate.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I almost always let the heels hang off behind the footplate, but lowering the footplate sounds like a good idea if you have the clearance.

I let the heels go behind the ankle strap too. Sometimes have to if the spasms kick in. But I have about a 5 degree drop at the back of my foot rests to help keep the heel cords from tightening and that is not really enough for more than a one inch heel before the knee problem kicks in.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I'm attending a wedding this weekend and am also in a footwear dilemma. I walk with hiking poles and have very little feeling in my feet. I've trained myself to have a reasonable gait with lots of repetition. I have three pairs of skechers with a curved back heel. Anything else makes me walk like a duck. They're okay for everyday but not dressy at all. Everything I've tried on with them looks dorky. I'd about sell my soul for a pair of heels.....and an ankle that wasn't totally chewed up from my injury...and a butt like I used to have. Sighhhh......

Thats one "plus" side for me using a wheelchair now, don't have to worry about how to dress nicely for things when I'm dressing around orthotic bracing and shoes that accommodate it!

I'd like to ask for a tip here too.... I bought some flats, like ballet flats sorta. When I wore them (only once so far) it felt like my footrest was too far down. Its adjusted perfectly though with the shoes I wear the majority of days... I'm not sure what I should do.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I agree we all need a tutorial on this! I don;t have a calf strap..but I do use the tubular fot rest and let heel go inside the tubes...I also cross my legs so one foot does not have to be worried about lol.

If foot rest is too low, the heel will scrap floor..if the heel is hooked on tube.

So we need out famous Writer Tiffany to do a indepth story with video guide to how to wear heels! I will suggest
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda