Thread: motorcycle lift for floor to chair transfer?

motorcycle lift for floor to chair transfer?

I've been thinking about a way to get from the floor back into my chair. I am simply not able to do the transfer on my own. I don't know exactly why, but it's not happening. So, I looked at the para ladder but $600??? That is definitely not happening. A friend suggested adapting a motorcycle lift. It wouldn't really need a whole lot of adaptation...probably just some sort of solid seat on the platform. And then I hope that I would be able to jack it up myself. Has anyone ever thought of this or tried it? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I bought one of these when I first got my handcycle.. Have now mastered the floor to chair transfer but it worked great in the interim. Available at most tool supply places.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ble-94822.html

thanks a lot tooley. I love Harbor Freight...they have great prices. That looks like it would work great. I'm actually looking at a Force right now and transferring out of it was one of my concerns. So you were able to pump this yourself without any assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    thanks a lot tooley. I love Harbor Freight...they have great prices. That looks like it would work great. I'm actually looking at a Force right now and transferring out of it was one of my concerns. So you were able to pump this yourself without any assistance?
    brett-
    or buy a hoist from harbor bolt to the ceiling and then for 20 bucks off ebay get a bath u sling. hook it up and hoist yourself up down. thats what many of us do to get on/off our race bikes. super easy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

ive always been interested in one of these (http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/bat...nformation.htm) but never seen one in action.

we sell them, something similiar, they work great for getting on/off the bikes
    http://bike-on.com/product/bike-on-h...-seat-1874.htm
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

yea that definitely looks great but the lift that tooley linked to is only $150. obviously it would only work for those able to manually pump it themselves. bolting it to the ceiling sounds great but i'm looking for something i can transport and use when i'm out and about. i'm also looking to use it throughout the house as I've got a baby on the way and I want to be able to play with her on the floor. so i need something that i can move around pretty easily. the table cart is almost 100 lbs, so that's not ideal...but at least it's on wheels. i plan on transporting my handcycle to different trails quite often. once there, i might need something to help me get back into the chair.

Yeah, you can just reach through the uprights on the one end to pump it up. Mine worked fine unalterated but have heard of guys lengthening the handle to make it easier.

I don't know your injury level, but if you have triceps don't ever stop trying the floor to chair transfer. It is a complete game-changer in terms of independence.

yea that definitely looks great but the lift that tooley linked to is only $150. obviously it would only work for those able to manually pump it themselves. bolting it to the ceiling sounds great but i'm looking for something i can transport and use when i'm out and about. i'm also looking to use it throughout the house as I've got a baby on the way and I want to be able to play with her on the floor. so i need something that i can move around pretty easily. the table cart is almost 100 lbs, so that's not ideal...but at least it's on wheels. i plan on transporting my handcycle to different trails quite often. once there, i might need something to help me get back into the chair.
    true. i have both. the harbor pump lift is good for emergencies too. i cant get up if i hit the floor. no tri's.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I'm t3 with full use of tri's. I don't get why I have such difficulty with the floor transfer. A therapist once told me that with my height (6'3) and no abs, the floor transfer is very difficult. But i still know that i should be able to do it. I'll continue to try it but I'm also excited about getting the table lift to help. Thanks for the advice!