Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tires

tires

So I have spinergy wire wheels, 1x24 in rims, and my bike shop guy says it will only take 1 in wide tires. Is that true, or can you mount something slightly wider, like 1 3/8 on it? I'm confused, since I've seen the tire options on spinergy wire wheel orders include wider knobby tires...? I'm particularly interested in getting wider tires for improved traction on soft surfaces for some travel I'll be doing this summer. Also, what's the best for day to day use, aside from the high pressure thing....what will help skidding? My current tires are inverted tread (and beginning to show some real wear) and I skid and they screech on tile if I stop quickly or whatever, which is unnerving.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

1 3/8" wide tires will fit fine, you should get tubes to match. do you mean skidding as in loss of traction or skid marks? what tires are you using? in the meantime you could just decelerate slower.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    So I have spinergy wire wheels, 1x24 in rims, and my bike shop guy says it will only take 1 in wide tires. Is that true, or can you mount something slightly wider, like 1 3/8 on it? I'm confused, since I've seen the tire options on spinergy wire wheel orders include wider knobby tires...? I'm particularly interested in getting wider tires for improved traction on soft surfaces for some travel I'll be doing this summer. Also, what's the best for day to day use, aside from the high pressure thing....what will help skidding? My current tires are inverted tread (and beginning to show some real wear) and I skid and they screech on tile if I stop quickly or whatever, which is unnerving.
    Better find a different shop, cause they are wrong.

Not matching tires with rims is a risk. Just info, but wider tires will be harder to push because use of more contact surface on ground. They typically less tire pressure which also makes harder push. There are pros and cons to both narrtow and wide. What kind of surfaces are you on most of the day? Any inciine? Loose surfaces? Carpet?

I'm on kenda high pressures..not sure the exact model?? 110 PSI inverted tread. I skid as in loss of traction and squealing tires. Daily, I'm on hard flat surfaces mostly, but I'd like to have better carpet and gravel/dirt ability too, which is basically nonexistent right now. Increased resistance with the width isn't a problem; I have good upper body and core strength. Yeah, the bike shop...I wanted to switch from them for a while now, they're just extremely overpriced...but it turns out they're the only one in my county. (Rural area. Sucks!) I have some cuts on my tires, and I have one tire which some string is coming out of the wall?
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Not matching tires with rims is a risk. Just info, but wider tires will be harder to push because use of more contact surface on ground. They typically less tire pressure which also makes harder push. There are pros and cons to both narrtow and wide. What kind of surfaces are you on most of the day? Any inciine? Loose surfaces? Carpet?
    I know you are the expert, but the spinergy rims can be used with different width tires. Just look at an order sheet from a wheelchair company and see what sizes are available on the same rim. a 1" rim doesn't have to have the same width tire

I can't say specifically about spinergy, but I talked to customer service with velocity for some wheels I am building. For their 1" rims they recommend anything from 1" to 2". They did say that the 1" was harder on the rim than a 1 1/4 inch or larger.

A wider tire has less rolling resistance than a narrow tire IF THE PRESSURE IS THE SAME. However, wider tires are commonly used with a lower pressure. Professional racers use very narrow high pressure tires as much for the aerodynamics as the low rolling resistance, but they are willing to sacrifice comfort for speed.

You will find your rolling resistance is more affected by the type of tire you use. Nobbies are notoriously hard to push. Marathon Plusses are heavy but bombproof. The slicker and more lightweight the tire, the easier it is to push - and the more likely to have a puncture. It's a trade off. If you roll on snow or ice you need more traction. The marathon winters have great ice traction, but are outdoor only, they will scratch a wood floor.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I don't know of any tire that won't screech when wet and on tile or wood floors. Nothing worse than trying to enter a classroom late with screeching tires.

There are options for a good 1" treaded tires. Marathon Plus Evolutions are probably the best. Personally I don't like a treaded tire because of the way I push using the rim and top of the tire. I love the Right Runs, best tire I've found for myself in 40 years post.

RMt and IsM. is right about the 1 3/8th tires being slower mainly because they are a lower pressure. Kendras are faunky tires IMO. Scwalbe anything is much,much more efficient. They do have a wider tire in a higher pressure.

If you are on paved surfaces, the one inch,imo, are far more efficient that a 1 3/8th. The screeching is just something that happens. Perhaps the Scwalbes, because of rubber content, would be a quieter tire than those faunky Kendras.

Yes you can put a 1 3/8ths tire on a one inch rim. Dang whoever told you that is not right at all.

Spinergy wire 1-3/8 tire came with my first chair, i replaced tires with a knobby tread, had no problems pushing on carpet, rolls great on any flat surface, maybe cause its only 1-3/8 not like really wide wide tread. Wish this tire model came in 540 in black so I can put them in my new chair. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230919116618...84.m1555.l2649
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Rims will accept tires up to twice their width without issue. That bike shop is wrong. I have 26x1 rims with 2.135" tires on them. They're fine.
    I also have 24x 1-3/8 Kenda knobby tires that are rated to 80 psi and are very quiet. The key is in the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I know you are the expert
    Have you ever thought about doing stand-up?