Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damm, just found out I have a DVT in the right upper leg tonight

Damm, just found out I have a DVT in the right upper leg tonight

Fell while transfering from my tennis chair around a week ago, right leg was swelling the past few days and thought I'd better go to the ER. Got there around 5 and they ran some tests. They left me laying in a room for a few hours and nobody told me what the hell was going on. Finally a nurse came in and hooked me up to a monitor and told me we are moving you up to a room soon, I'm like what the heck is wrong with me. She said "oh, you mean the doctor did not come in to tell you that you had a DVT?" I'm like nooooo, that's news to me. Anyhow, they first moved me to another room and said the doctor would be in soon, another few hours goes by and at that point I freaked out when the nurse came and in and said I was about to grab my pants, put them on and hop in my wheelchair and leave. A few minutes the doctor comes in after I got myself dressed and was all set to go and gave me a script for Lovenex and Coumadin. Told me to shoot the Lovenex in my belly once a day, I've got to get the stuff tomorrow, problem is my insurance does not cover meds and it's like 500 bucks. Looks like I'll be on the Coumadin a long time. I had this same thing happen back in 1991 only I waited too long before getting on these meds and the clot went up to my left lung and nearly killed me. The doc back then told me the swelling of my leg was normal and not to worry about it, the guy nearly killed me. Man, I hate hospitals and Doctors. Anyhow, I finally escaped the hospital at around 3 in the mourning and just got home. I guess I should probably take the next week or so off from Tennis as I've been training real hard lately for a couple of upcoming tournaments. It's always something with this SCI, makes me wonder when the final nail in the coffin is going to come and this damm injury is going to kill me. One thing I did know though if I stayed in that hospital as they wanted me too I may not have come out alive. They had me laying in the same spot for way too long on a crappy cushion with a old folded up blanket as a pillow and the nurse refused to rinse out my leg bag with bleach saying they did not have any and then I suggested betadine, it was a brand new leg bag and I did not want to toss it as she suggested. I told her "If I listen to you I'll have a UTI too". I'm much better off at home taking care of myself, I've been doing it my whole life this way.

I think while I'm taking it easy the next week I'm going to start writing a book called "my many nine lives".
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Oh no Curt! Get better soon! I know what you mean ... I just don't want to die from anything SCI-related either. I have the feeling that I'm on borrowed time.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Fell while transfering from my tennis chair around a week ago, right leg was swelling the past few days and thought I'd better go to the ER. Got there around 5 and they ran some tests. They left me laying in a room for a few hours and nobody told me what the hell was going on. Finally a nurse came in and hooked me up to a monitor and told me we are moving you up to a room soon, I'm like what the heck is wrong with me. She said "oh, you mean the doctor did not come in to tell you that you had a DVT?" I'm like nooooo, that's news to me. Anyhow, they first moved me to another room and said the doctor would be in soon, another few hours goes by and at that point I freaked out when the nurse came and in and said I was about to grab my pants, put them on and hop in my wheelchair and leave. A few minutes the doctor comes in after I got myself dressed and was all set to go and gave me a script for Lovenex and Coumadin. Told me to shoot the Lovenex in my belly once a day, I've got to get the stuff tomorrow, problem is my insurance does not cover meds and it's like 500 bucks. Looks like I'll be on the Coumadin a long time. I had this same thing happen back in 1991 only I waited too long before getting on these meds and the clot went up to my left lung and nearly killed me. The doc back then told me the swelling of my leg was normal and not to worry about it, the guy nearly killed me. Man, I hate hospitals and Doctors. Anyhow, I finally escaped the hospital at around 3 in the mourning and just got home. I guess I should probably take the next week or so off from Tennis as I've been training real hard lately for a couple of upcoming tournaments. It's always something with this SCI, makes me wonder when the final nail in the coffin is going to come and this damm injury is going to kill me. One thing I did know though if I stayed in that hospital as they wanted me too I may not have come out alive. They had me laying in the same spot for way too long on a crappy cushion with a old folded up blanket as a pillow and the nurse refused to rinse out my leg bag with bleach saying they did not have any and then I suggested betadine, it was a brand new leg bag and I did not want to toss it as she suggested. I told her "If I listen to you I'll have a UTI too". I'm much better off at home taking care of myself, I've been doing it my whole life this way.

I think while I'm taking it easy the next week I'm going to start writing a book called "my many nine lives".
    Be careful with that. Contact me if you want a doctor referral down here. I know lots of people up there with doctor contacts as well.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

No this iife ain't fun, but for some reason we are here. There are people, I think, who have it far worse off. Shit keeps happeneing but if you look at the entire daily picture, the shit is only a small piece. Somehow, need convince yourself to not allow these pieces to overwhelm wat else goes on. I think, and only think, then our brains will present this stuff to us diferently right from when crap starts.

Sorry to hear that Curt. I lost my best high school buddy from a DVT so take care of it. It is serious business.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Sod it!

Sorry to hear this Curt, look after yourself and heal fast.

Thanks guys, ya I've known people who died from DVT's, I think that's what got Andy Barker from bike-on, he was a great guy. I'm not really sure but it could have been what got Randy Snow too, although that may have been a heart attack. Life is temporary, I've really been coming to terms with that lately now that I'm about to hit 55 years old.

I'm probably best off wearing a compression stocking right? I asked the doctor, he was not really sure, but it does seem like it takes down the swelling some of the lower leg and the foot. I'm pretty sure the clot is in the upper leg near the hip in the thigh. I must tore a muscle there or something when I fell out of the Tennis chair a week ago, good thing I'm under treatment for this. They said there where around 3 older clots there, I might have had these before and not even known it, crazy. I did have one confirmed one back in 1991 when I got hit by a car and that did go into the lung, that was really bad. I feel fine today though. Anybody have any ideas of getting Lovenex injections for the best price?, my insurance does not cover these and I understand it's around 100 bucks an injection and I need five doses over the next 5 days. Gotta love big pharma, they know when you need something because it's life or death they can jack the price up. I was thinking of maybe checking at Target pharmacy or Walmart, maybe if I put on some rags for clothing and rub some dirt on my face they will have mercy on me and give me a break on the price?

One other question maybe if the nurse sees this post, am I best off to keep moving my legs during this acute stage or just mostly lay still in bed and remain sedentary in the wheelchair?. I really want to play some Tennis next week as I feel fine, but I'm not sure how great an idea that is? I'd hate to have this clot move into my lung.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Thanks guys, ya I've known people who died from DVT's, I think that's what got Andy Barker from bike-on, he was a great guy. I'm not really sure but it could have been what got Randy Snow too, although that may have been a heart attack. Life is temporary, I've really been coming to terms with that lately now that I'm about to hit 55 years old.

I'm probably best off wearing a compression stocking right? I asked the doctor, he was not really sure, but it does seem like it takes down the swelling some of the lower leg and the foot. I'm pretty sure the clot is in the upper leg near the hip in the thigh. I must tore a muscle there or something when I fell out of the Tennis chair a week ago, good thing I'm under treatment for this. They said there where around 3 older clots there, I might have had these before and not even known it, crazy. I did have one confirmed one back in 1991 when I got hit by a car and that did go into the lung, that was really bad. I feel fine today though. Anybody have any ideas of getting Lovenex injections for the best price?, my insurance does not cover these and I understand it's around 100 bucks an injection and I need five doses over the next 5 days. Gotta love big pharma, they know when you need something because it's life or death they can jack the price up. I was thinking of maybe checking at Target pharmacy or Walmart, maybe if I put on some rags for clothing and rub some dirt on my face they will have mercy on me and give me a break on the price?

One other question maybe if the nurse sees this post, am I best off to keep moving my legs during this acute stage or just mostly lay still in bed and remain sedentary in the wheelchair?. I really want to play some Tennis next week as I feel fine, but I'm not sure how great an idea that is? I'd hate to have this clot move into my lung.
    I wouldn't be highly functional unless I was wearing 20-30 mmhg support stockings. I only take them off when I shower. It's a game changer for me.

your a fit gimp, you'll be fine treat this and stay cognizant of changes. sending positive thoughts your way.

we will vaca in florida next winter, we'll have to do a ride with you.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer