Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cushion prescribed by PT?

Thanks for all the replies. Should I just go for it and buy a new one? I've been really interested in the stimulite contour xs due to its low profile and significantly lower weight.

For those of you that have chosen stimulite which version do you like the most?

Yes, buy a new one. It's well worth the money. Your skin integrity is worth it.

I've been happy with the Classics w/ the XS layer. The Contour is thicker, FYI.

I just recently got a stimulite classic xs and I love it

Contour is not low profile. Classic XS is probably what you meant to say.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Get to a good physical therapist and have a computer seating mapping and then make a decision.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Get to a good physical therapist and have a computer seating mapping and then make a decision.

All the best,
    GJ
    terrible advice. u dont rely on what an ab pt tells you and a computer. you need to listen to your body, watch your skin, proper nutrition etc. ex- rybread, poor guys been mapped many many times, does what they tell him to and has had sore after sore and several flap surgeries resulting in basically being in bed for 5 yrs. learn your body and LISTEN to it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

All the best,
    GJ
    or an OT. Pressure mapping. Just like each SCI is different s is everyone's ass. :-)
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by ben. View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Should I just go for it and buy a new one? I've been really interested in the stimulite contour xs due to its low profile and significantly lower weight.

For those of you that have chosen stimulite which version do you like the most?
    Have you had a chance to sit on any other cushions than your Jay2 deep? Cushions are expensive and insurance will only pay for one about every 3 years. Purchasing a cushion out of pocket, without having a clue how it sits for you, could be waste of your money.

Finding a therapist or a durable medical equipment supplier who has access to some demo cushions might help you determine what works best for you.

All the best,
    GJ

Ben,

Regarding "... my jay2 deep ... interested in the stimulite contour xs due to its low profile ... weight ..."

Please note that the Stimulite cushions are indeed firmer than the J2 with which you are already accustomed. The height and weight of the Stimulite Contoured; however, are less than the height and weight of the J2.

Jay J2:
    Height ~ 4.5 inches, Weight ~ 6.3 pounds
    Stimulite Contoured:
    Height ~ 3 inches, Weight ~ 3.3 pounds

The cushion weights; of course, are a function of the cushion's width and depth dimensions.

There are other significant differences between the two cushions (e.g., cost, maintenance, breathability, positioning options, sling availability, etc.).

Left rehab with a 4" ROHO. Switched after near 10 years to a Jay Active, which I used until about 4 years ago. I tried the Stimulite XS but wasn't comfortable. Using a Varilte Meridian now.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982