Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cushion prescribed by PT?

Cushion prescribed by PT?

What cushion did you leave rehab with?
    Have you switched from the cushion originally given to you? To what?
    If you have used different cushions, which do you prefer?
    What cushion do you think would be best for a C6 incomplete quad with good sensation and inchair mobility?

I ask because I am having a very difficult time convincing my PT to even consider the idea of letting me try/use a different cushion than my jay2 deep which is an ungainly beast that I hate.

She seems to think that the Jay2 is the best and that a switch would mean sacrificing protection and quality. Do you agree that the jay is unparalleled in its protective qualities and that by using something else I would be asking for a problem? Or have you found that another cushion is very good and are quite pleased with its performance?

I would really like the chance to use something else but my PT's reluctance to change has thrown me off.

Thanks

I left rehab 28 years ago with a Jay2 I used a Jay2 for 25 years with no trouble. However and I know I'm gonna jinks myself I have good genes/skin and move/shift around alot.

The last 3 years I've sat on a ride design with no skin trouble but it's a hard cushion. I just ordered a Stimulite Contoured xs through a guy named John Squires on here. I don't know how the cushion will be but it seems to get a lot of thumbs up from our peers.

Good luck and take care
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by ben. View Post
    What cushion did you leave rehab with?
    Some J2 piece of crap.

Have you switched from the cushion originally given to you? To what?
    If you have used different cushions, which do you prefer?
    I switched to a roho hybrid elite. I also have a simulite contour. I much prefer the roho.

What cushion do you think would be best for a C6 incomplete quad with good sensation and inchair mobility?
    I am a T8 with no sensation so really can't answer that other than I prefer either the simulite or roho over the J2.

I am a c6/7 quad complete, 30 years post injury. I have no sensation below my arm pits.

I started out with a Jay2 ("deep", I don't recall) cushion. About 8 years ago, I got really tired of having the bladders on the Jay cushion leak this sticky, yellow stuff due to seam failures. I had several failures like this over those 20 plus years. I was also having trouble with sweating. The cushion covers and the plastic bladders didn't breathe and my skin was constantly sweaty and wet. I didn't think that was good for my skin.

I changed to a ROHO® CONTOUR SELECT® Cushion (see below). I have found it very satisfactory, easy to clean, and light weight. I have not had a pressure sore durig 30 years in the chair.

Maybe it is time to consult with another therapist, who will listen to your problems, concerns, and needs. Have you ever had a pressure mapping?

http://www.therohogroup.com/products...ct_cushion.jsp

All the best,
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.

One more thing I remember about my Jay2 the gel use to squezze out the back.

t8burst, How long have you had the roho, how often do you need to air it up and is it stable?
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post

t8burst, How long have you had the roho, how often do you need to air it up and is it stable?
    I have had it a couple years now. It is very stable for me, with the caveat I have a lot of dump in my chair and a relatively high back. I very much sit "in" my chair and not on it.

I hardly ever have to put air in it.

I use a 4 inch roho, and yes I can feel what is going on inside my butt. I have no muscles at all down there just skin and bones, and let me tell you its mostly an unpleasant feeling. Of course some of it is neuro pain but some of it feels like my bones are bruised. So be very careful about whats going on back there with your skin and bones, just because you can not feel it, is no reason to sit on a firmer cushion.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Question

The contour cushion is very stable because of the lower cells at the middle back. There is no need to have a lot of "dump" in the chair with the contour cushion.

I rarely have to put air in my Roho either. if I get a cell that seems under inflated, NL takes the cushion swimming, i.e., puts the cushion in the pool and submerges the suspected area (you can do this in a bath tub too). Little bubbles streaming upward mark the spot where you generally find is a small, pin sized hole. It happens. But all Rohos come with an easy to use repair patch and I have found that they last.

All the best,
    GJ

since 1999: left w/ a high profile roho, got a 2nd, then a j2 deep, then 4 stimulite classic xs, now sitting on a varilite evolution.

I left rehab 28 years ago with a Jay2 I used a Jay2 for 25 years with no trouble. However and I know I'm gonna jinks myself I have good genes/skin and move/shift around alot.

The last 3 years I've sat on a ride design with no skin trouble but it's a hard cushion. I just ordered a Stimulite Contoured xs through a guy named John Squires on here. I don't know how the cushion will be but it seems to get a lot of thumbs up from our peers.

Good luck and take care
    yup, like chris mentioned. i only run supracor stimulite cushions. i dont trust air or gel, tried both. left rehab with jay, terrible imo. air is old tech, just my opinion. 26yrs post quad zero sores or near sores.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer