Thread: question about recovery for someone who has an incomplete injury

question about recovery for someone who has an incomplete injury

Dr. Young,
    If a person has an incomplete injury what types of treatments will be needed for their recovery. Will they need stem cell transplants or will Chondroitinase be enough to help them or would a chemical compound like 4AP be what is needed, or will they still need a combination of therapy's to repair the damage.

Thank you,
    Mary

Mary,

Most people with incomplete spinal cord injury recover substantially. Many of the experiments in animals were carried out in animals with "incomplete" injury, i.e. the 12.5 mm contusion is an "incomplete" injury in which a majority of rats recovery ability to walk albeit not normally. That is the level of injury that was used in the Pierce, et al. study from the Miami Project where they reported that the combination therapy of rolipram, db cAMP, and Schwann cell transplants are helpful in improving locomotor recovery. Likewise, the studies by Xiaoming Xu on the effects of chondroitinase and GDNF combination therapy on regeneration across a Schwann cell bridge was done in hemisected spinal cords. So, this gives hope that these therapies will be useful for people with incomplete spinal cord injury. However, what we need to know and find out is whether these treatments work in people. Until clinical trials are done and the data is available, I am afraid that anything that I say would be speculative at best.

Wise.

Dr. Young,

Doesn't sound overly encouraging for a complete chronic injury. As you stated, no one knows what to expect in humans when therapies are initiated.

Dr. Young,
    Thank you so much for the information.
    Mary