Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first handcycle?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    Patrick yes I do now the quality of F/R I have 2 buddy's who have had them and neither one said they would ever buy one again. I have been riding with them for the last 8 yrs. You do get what you pay for and for 4,000 for a F/R I would spend a little less and by a G. Richard has a real nice bike for sale. That is nicer than a new F/R by far.
    Your full of crap. The freedom ryder bikes are great bikes. They come with better components STANDARD, whereas the top end come with crap components. A person(much like myself)will spend twice as much money upgrading components on the Top End to make a decent ride. For a beginner the FR is a very good choice if one is worried about being too low and problem getiing on and off. If the person wanted to get serious about racing later on, then a person would ber better off with a lower sitting bike as sitting higher does slow you down. I have both and still use the FR often for leisure riding, it is slower but turns betters easier to get off and on, and a little more comfortable for everyday use. My top end is quite faster, but is easily twice the cost after upgrades. Before the upgrades it wasn't really any faster than my FR.

What can I say I'm a recreational rider and I love my FR. I would not want to sit any lower down because I like to look around and see the world go by, which leaves out all the lay flat bikes. Plus for me I can use my stomach muscles when pushing forward, because I am sitting more upright. Six pack anyone? And I must say that I'm totally impressed with the components that came with the bike, while I have changed out cables and adjust them a lot, the shifters are top of the line according to my local bike shop, and after 2000 miles I have had no problems at all with them.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Check to see if there are any adaptive sports groups near you that have bikes you can try. There are so many differences in handcycles and being a high-level para you may find the lean to ride bikes like Freedom Ryder are not a good option. US Handcycling site has a decent list of resources. I hope it works out for you. I have been riding for 15 years and absolutely live for it.

I wouldn't let the transfer decide what trike you should get. There are many ways to get in and out of these trikes. I know a guy that is a c5 and with some help he gets in and out of a Top End Force R and RX. I have no problem at all transferring in and out of my Top End Force RX independently as a C7. If you are wanting to do marathons and possibly other endurance racing I would go with the Force RX. Best bang for the buck. Plus they are way more fun and aerodynamic. By far the most efficient style of hand cycle for higher levels. Here is a link to a video I made a while back. It shows me getting in with ease and I use the same technique to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QwDLG-JIc

The biggest advantage to a hand cycle like the RX is you don't have to worry about supporting your trunk. It isolates your shoulders and you get max power out of them. I don't like to buy gear twice. So I generally buy what I want in the end. Saves a lot of money. I also own a Lasher ATH and would not recommend it. It is limiting on the hills. Because it is front wheel driven it doesn't take that steep of a grade to make the wheel spin on dirt. If you are doing mostly road riding go with a road trike. I bought the Lasher to act as both an on and off road hand cycle and don't like it for either. Thats the problem with trying to make one piece of gear act as two. The Nuke from Reactive Adaptations looks like an awesome off road hand cycle with few limitations. This is just my opinion but if you ever have any transfer question or any other for that matter feel free to send them my way.

hey I know that guy. lol. you are so right, NEVER let the transfer dictate what you ride. heres the car lift I use. any questions john@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joesstone View Post
    I wouldn't let the transfer decide what trike you should get. There are many ways to get in and out of these trikes. I know a guy that is a c5 and with some help he gets in and out of a Top End Force R and RX. I have no problem at all transferring in and out of my Top End Force RX independently as a C7. If you are wanting to do marathons and possibly other endurance racing I would go with the Force RX. Best bang for the buck. Plus they are way more fun and aerodynamic. By far the most efficient style of hand cycle for higher levels. Here is a link to a video I made a while back. It shows me getting in with ease and I use the same technique to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QwDLG-JIc

The biggest advantage to a hand cycle like the RX is you don't have to worry about supporting your trunk. It isolates your shoulders and you get max power out of them. I don't like to buy gear twice. So I generally buy what I want in the end. Saves a lot of money. I also own a Lasher ATH and would not recommend it. It is limiting on the hills. Because it is front wheel driven it doesn't take that steep of a grade to make the wheel spin on dirt. If you are doing mostly road riding go with a road trike. I bought the Lasher to act as both an on and off road hand cycle and don't like it for either. Thats the problem with trying to make one piece of gear act as two. The Nuke from Reactive Adaptations looks like an awesome off road hand cycle with few limitations. This is just my opinion but if you ever have any transfer question or any other for that matter feel free to send them my way.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer