Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting new TiLite chair, from Q7 to Tilite

You're using 24" wheels on your present chair. Why? For someone 6' 4" that must be like sitting in a kindergartner's chair. I'm 5' 9" and I use 25" wheels. I would imagine that you could easily use Spinergy 26" wheels. Before locking in specs for your new TR3, if you have access to an adjustable chair, I would experiment with larger wheels and explore that.

As for hard backs and seat depth, typically you lose some seat depth, but I guess that depends on the thickness of the cloth upholstery you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick87 View Post
    My footrest on current chair is tubular, 5"x7", an it's too small.
    You probably saw alu footrest, angle and depth adjustable, that one is bigger.
    I'm thinking to use titanium footrest with cover on TiLite.
    Yes I saw the alu footrest.
    TiLite titanium footrest with cover on is 6" deep but according to Stephen you can ask for custom depth.

I think I'll maybe use Roho Jet Stream, both Jet Stream and Agility are new to me.
    My opinion is that hard backs add seat depth, aren't they?
    It depends on the mounting hardware and also on depth of backrest rigidizer bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Yes I saw the alu footrest.
    TiLite titanium footrest with cover on is 6" deep but according to Stephen you can ask for custom depth.
    You can also request, as I did, to have the footrest welded parallel to the ground, not angled back.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    You're using 24" wheels on your present chair. Why? For someone 6' 4" that must be like sitting in a kindergartner's chair. I'm 5' 9" and I use 25" wheels. I would imagine that you could easily use Spinergy 26" wheels. Before locking in specs for your new TR3, if you have access to an adjustable chair, I would experiment with larger wheels and explore that.

As for hard backs and seat depth, typically you lose some seat depth, but I guess that depends on the thickness of the cloth upholstery you're using.
    I was always going towards that old rule: Your seat height is OK when you can touch your axles (center of wheel) with your fingertips.
    I never really thought about taking bigger wheels. Here in Croatia that is not usual, everyone has 24", or 22" on pediatric chairs.

@~Lin - @ us fendered sideguards are standard, everyone has it. I don't know if they are available on Q7. Sideguards are attached on back post and have sort of "slider" on it when you're folding back.
    They aren't standard here in the US. The standard sideguards are the plastic ones, and then you can upgrade to aluminum fendered ones. But last I looked carbon fiber fendered were not available at all.

And yes you typically lose seat depth with a hard shell back, the Jay3 hardware is the exception to that rule.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    They aren't standard here in the US. The standard sideguards are the plastic ones, and then you can upgrade to aluminum fendered ones. But last I looked carbon fiber fendered were not available at all.
    Lin, you can look at European options here but at European prices

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

im 6'2 and always preferred 24 stephen. matter of taste i suppose.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I was always going towards that old rule: Your seat height is OK when you can touch your axles (center of wheel) with your fingertips.
    i totally agree.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My thoughts mirrored Stephen's when I saw him in the chair, where I think he would greatly prefer 25's, getting much more out of each push.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im 6'2 and always preferred 24 stephen. matter of taste i suppose.
    At the end of the day there's no substitute for personal preference.

Having said that. . . . logic would suggest that a larger person (no less, a 6' 4" para) would benefit from a larger wheel than someone who's a foot shorter. It's at least something he should consider. Also note how straight and tall Nick sits in his chair, which to my mind makes the argument for a larger wheel seem even more compelling.