Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting new TiLite chair, from Q7 to Tilite

We have ordered an ADI carbon fiber seat base with ADI carbon fiber folding sideguards, and will also have an ADI back for a TiLite ZRA with a folding back. We don't have them yet, because we are waiting for the chair to arrive so that we can make a template for the sideguards.

We did this because I as a helper with the chair am very good at losing wheelchair pieces -- footrests, sideguards, etc. I've more than once needed to go back to find things.

Here are some pictures:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick87 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here.

After spending last 7 years in Quickie, I'm switching to TiLite.
    I read big amount of posts here, but I still have few big dilemmas.

I'm 6'4" 218 lbs, now sitting in Helium (European version of Q7)
    SW 16.5"
    SD 17.3"
    FSH 18.9"
    RSH 15.7"
    BH 14.8"
    24" wheel
    (odd dimensions are from conversion from cm)

I measured OFL, it is 24" in my current chair.

I would go with this specs on Tilite:
    SW 17"
    SD 17.5" + 1" frame length
    FSH 19"
    RSH 15.5"
    BH 15" + ROHO Agility back with integrated fold down pushandles
    front angle: 85 deg

Now, my Q and dilemmas:

1. TR3 or ZR?
    I read several posts about better stiffness and rolling performance of TR3, but my concern is in-car loading.
    I put my frame on back seat, behind co-driver seat. Does anybody have some pics or video of chair loaded like that? I didn't found any on YouTube.
    And yeah, I don't fold my back while loading it on back seat.

2. Ergo seat
    I found it very interesting, and I think my posture would be better and probably prevent pelvic obliquity.
    But, I don't know how would I measure it, should I stay at 3.5" dump?
    I'm using ROHO Quadtro select low prifile

3. Seat width
    I now have sw 42 cm (equal to 16.5 inch), but distance between sideguards is about 44 cm (17.3"). I use fendered carbon sideguards, and i'll order the same one on Tilite chair.
    Does sideguard clamps adds width to chair? Maybe I should use 16" SW? or also order custom dimension 16.5"?

4. Fendered carbon sudeguards
    Yes, I'm from Europe, and here we are using fendered sideguards
    I would choose Fendered Removable s-guards, but I'm used to not remove those while folding back (when I'm not loading chair in car, my GF folds back down and put whole chair in trunk of my caravan (A4 Avant)).
    My question is, can I fold back down with CF sideguards on?

I think that would be it (at least for now)

Thanks for reading and helping
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Did your helium come with the carbon fiber side guards? Or were they purchased separately? I have a Q7 and would love carbon fiber fendered side guards, hadn't seen them available here. I've been wondering if I could find (and afford lol) some fender side guards that would be able to be used in place of my armrests.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I am your size but heavier and I ordered a TR3, have you considered taking the reinforced frame option?

Due to the way you load your chair into your car, I would go for a ZR as the TR would be more difficult to move on back seat due to its box frame.
    I put my chair on passenger front seat and that makes a big difference.

The Helium I tried had fendered side guards that could not be removed and it was painful to load the chair and also the backrest could not fold completely due to them.
    I also think you should take removable side guards.

You say you want SD 17.5" but as far as I know Tilite offers only 17" or 18".

You may want to post a photo of you in your chair to get better advice.
    I attached few pics of me sitting in current chair.

Why reinforced frame? Weight limit on TR is 265 lbs. I even have few options on Helium (oval backrest and "clip style" seat sling) that have weight limit 100 kg (220 lbs.) and never had problem with it.
    Titanium even should be stronger, right?

Regarding in-car loading, I recline my seat and fold codriver backrest (I have seats from cabrio), so loading isn't hard now.
    Only thing that I'm curious about is bigger space that TR3 would take on back seat.

@~Lin - @ us fendered sideguards are standard, everyone has it. I don't know if they are available on Q7. Sideguards are attached on back post and have sort of "slider" on it when you're folding back.

I attached few pics of me sitting in current chair.

Why reinforced frame? Weight limit on TR is 265 lbs. I even have few options on Helium (oval backrest and "clip style" seat sling) that have weight limit 100 kg (220 lbs.) and never had problem with it.
    Titanium even should be stronger, right?
    Well maybe I am more rude with my chair than you as I have never been able to keep a chair more than 3 years, I always broke frame or backrest before, this time I'd be happy to keep it 5 years.
    If you plan to keep your new chair also 7 years, this will be a good investment, though it adds 500g to your chair weight but it may help also if you plan to use a power assistance in the future.

Titanium is stronger than aluminum at same thickness so to build lighter chairs they use thinner tubes. So in the end, a titanium chair is not stronger.

Regarding in-car loading, I recline my seat and fold codriver backrest (I have seats from cabrio), so loading isn't hard now.
    Only thing that I'm curious about is bigger space that TR3 would take on back seat.
    By reclining seat, you should be OK with a TR3 but you should test it by adding some stuff to your chair with tape and cardboard, or wood to simulate a frame box.
    Last edited by Big; 02-25-2013 at 06:08 AM.

Few comments on your photos, they are a bit dark and we can't see the full caster wheels but you have a good posture.

It's difficult to say what is the front angle, have you tried to measure it? A friend of mine has an Helium and her front is 80°, I don't know if it's an option.

It seems that your footrest is quite low, I had same problem for years because of long legs and because I wanted to fit under all tables, now I have a slightly higher FSH to have higher foot rest and my chair is safer.
    Last edited by Big; 02-25-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Deleted wrong comment on RSH

Here is your pic less dark, what kind of backrest is it?

I'm SCI 7 years and I had Quickie all that years (total 4 chairs, this chair is 5 months old). I'm sales rep in company that distributes Quickie and, few weeks ago, TiLite.

Cause of long legs, I like to have my shoe heels scrubbing floor sometimes
    Now I have 1cm too high RSH and FSH because of solid insert under my ROHO. I had to put it cause straps on seat are too loosen, like bungee.

Front angle on OF of Helium Was 92 deg, but they measure angle between seat rail and front frame.
    I measured from frame front to floor (like on TiLite OF), it is 80 deg.
    Now, I would like 85 deg, but with longer frame (I think my legs are enough tucked in).

I will ask for OFL measure on CAD drawing when ordering, so I'm sure both, on frame length and OFL.

My backrest is "adjustable backrest with leather material"
    http://www.heliummobility.eu/en_gb/i...upholstery.jpg

I want to make one thing clear: I wanted this chair (from the pic) to be as much light it can be (it is 9 kg without cushion).
    So it's not as comfortable as i wanted to be.
    My last Helium was with heavy J3 back and suspensions (16 kg with cushion).

With new TR3 I want to be somewhere in the middle
    Last edited by Nick87; 02-25-2013 at 06:53 AM.

I'm SCI 7 years and I had Quickie all that years (total 4 chairs, this chair is 5 months old). I'm sales rep in company that distributes Quickie and, few weeks ago, TiLite.
    This chair looked too nice for being 7 years old
    So I guess you'll get a better price than your customers.

Cause of long legs, I like to have my shoe heels scrubbing floor sometimes
    Same for me, this was my excuse for buying new shoes more often.

Front angle on OF of Helium Was 92 deg, but they measure angle between seat rail and front frame.
    I measured from frame front to floor (like on TiLite OF), it is 80 deg.
    Now, I would like 85 deg, but with longer frame (I think my legs are enough tucked in).

I will ask for OFL measure on CAD drawing when ordering, so i would be sure.
    As your legs are rather tucked in, you may want to have a closer look at footrest depth, the Helium I have seen had rather deep footrest, so maybe you could ask to get a deeper one than standard one at 6".
    Last edited by Big; 02-25-2013 at 07:09 AM.

My backrest is "adjustable backrest with leather material"
    http://www.heliummobility.eu/en_gb/i...upholstery.jpg
    So it's going to be a big change with Roho agility back, it will be heavier and maybe your backrest may not fold as much.
    I don't know this backrest but have you considered whether it will reduce your seat depth and whether it will fit the rounded rigidizer bar?
    Last edited by Big; 02-25-2013 at 07:48 AM.

As your legs are rather tucked in, you may want to have a closer look at footrest depth, the Helium I have seen had rather deep footrest, so maybe you could ask to get a deeper one than standard one at 6".
    My footrest on current chair is tubular, 5"x7", an it's too small.
    You probably saw alu footrest, angle and depth adjustable, that one is bigger.
    I'm thinking to use titanium footrest with cover on TiLite.

So it's going to be a big change with Roho agility back, it will be heavier and maybe your backrest may not fold as much.
    I don't know this backrest but have you considered whether it will reduce your seat depth and whether it will fit the rounded rigidizer bar?
    My previous Helium was same seat depth as this one, but J3 back was pulled back a little, so I had deeper seat.

I think I'll maybe use Roho Jet Stream, both Jet Stream and Agility are new to me.
    My opinion is that hard backs add seat depth, aren't they?