Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back rest?

Back rest?

I've been using Velcro adjustable backrest for my 19 year SCI career. I'm considering switching to a solid back rest instead of the tension strap/Velcro adjustable. What can I expect as far as back comfort if I made the switch? Pro/cons of each?
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I hated it after 20 years. its sitting on the shelve. look at supracors bacik. very comfy and washable
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I like varilite and adi backs. The varilite backs you can adjust the amount of air in it. Very comfortable. Adi is foam and still comfortable. If I were you I would contact your dme and see if you can demo some backs to see witch one you would like the best!

We just got an ADI Carbon Fiber Back, Medium 16″ x 13″, Active contour 2.5″, Quick Release with a 1″ clamp and Privacy Flap, which is no additional cost when ordered at the time. I can't give you any information about how it does over time, because we have only had it a few weeks, but here is our initial review of it:

It is much more stable than the standard Velcro Adjustable upholstery, and has a good adjustment range. My husband has good upper body strength and control on one side, but needs the stability on the other side. He feels he saves energy doing propulsion because it does not go into the seat back so much. He is also sitting so much better and not sliding out the front of his chair like he did before. The weight is considerably less weight than our other Jay Basic Back with quick release that the back fell off of the hardware all the time.

We got the Quick Release to be able to easily take off the back while traveling and also for the occasional shower when traveling. For showers when travelling, we are hoping he can use the Supracor Stimulite Lumbar Support, either with or without the carbon fiber back (cushion off). We have not tested this yet, so I don't know how realistic that will be. The back cushion cover is washable.

As I had suspected and hoped after looking at the CAD image on the ADI website, the Quick Release hardware does not look like it significantly adds weight compared to the 2 Point PRO, but is probably much heavier than the Fixed Elite hardware.

It was well packaged with an excellent manual. All hardware and fasteners are very good. It included screws for 3/4" and 1" seatpost and Installed in about 10 minutes with no initial adjustment. We are waiting to adjust it more once we get the ADI carbon fiber seat base with folding side guards. Here are the weights:

• Weight back: 905 gr
    • Weight Quick Release Latch: 100 gr.
    • Weight Quick Release Clamp: 207 gr.

Last edited by elarson; 04-03-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We got the Quick Release to be able to easily take off the back while traveling and also for the occasional shower when traveling. For showers when travelling, we are hoping he can use the Supracor Stimulite Lumbar Support, either with or without the carbon fiber back (cushion off). We have not tested this yet, so I don't know how realistic that will be. The back cushion cover is washable.
    I have basically the same thing except the fixed elite hardware. If I have to shower in my chair I just take the cushion off and fold a thick towel over the back. You go back a little farther so are a little tippier, but I also have my cushion off and am sitting on a towel as well so it all evens out.

Exactly wgat ekarsib says in 2nd paragraph. Because of firm compared to velcro, then energy is transferred farther than the velcro straps when pushed. This is assuming you are using the backrest to propel. Do you use the backreast for many of your activity? I.e. leaning on it most/all of the time? A solid may help multiple ways. If you are not relyng on backrest for many activity, you are addigin additional weight to the chair. Perspnally, I hated the solid backrest on my 1st chair. Plus it broke on the adjustable mounts
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typos...my typing sucks...hope your eyes notice

Good to know someone else is doing this. That probably means that we are also safe to use the ADI carbon fiber base, which is what we are planning on. We got a Supracor Stimulite Silver Cushion that is 1.5" thick that we plan to use on top. It is being used as a shower cushion now, without the cover and works great and is comfortable enough with standing transfers. I have a feeling it might be too rough for those using a transfer board or who do lateral transfers without having a cover or towel on it.

I'm just curious, any idea what your fixed elite hardware weighs?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have basically the same thing except the fixed elite hardware. If I have to shower in my chair I just take the cushion off and fold a thick towel over the back. You go back a little farther so are a little tippier, but I also have my cushion off and am sitting on a towel as well so it all evens out.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

You guys shower in your chairs? Like, IN your chairs? Why do you prefer that?

I usually transfer into a tub but whenever I've asked a hotel for a shower chair they've always had one. If it's a shower bench without a back I put it near a wall and lean back against the wall.

Tub transfers are not possible. Many places we have been to that have an accessible shower in Europe do not provide chairs. It's not nice to lug one along. Also planning a visit this summer where we know they don't have an accessible shower. Easier to stay in the chair and wash-up outside, assuming it is warm under a solar shower;-).

I have a custom made CF base, which I also just put a towel on.

@brian: only done it a couple times. both in hotel rooms with no shower bench and the one the hotel brought up was marginal. It is a last resort sort of thing.

No, have no idea on the weight of the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Good to know someone else is doing this. That probably means that we are also safe to use the ADI carbon fiber base, which is what we are planning on. We got a Supracor Stimulite Silver Cushion that is 1.5" thick that we plan to use on top. It is being used as a shower cushion now, without the cover and works great and is comfortable enough with standing transfers. I have a feeling it might be too rough for those using a transfer board or who do lateral transfers without having a cover or towel on it.

I'm just curious, any idea what your fixed elite hardware weighs?