Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living on campus

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hope you are all healed and have a plan to stay pressure sore free. If you lived in a dorm, would you have a private room? Sharing a room with an able bodied student may be more sharing than you wish to do, when it comes to the quad care you need. Might there be a possibility that you would share a room with another quad and maybe share caregivers too?

Good luck!!!

All the best,
    GJ
    That's another idea that was brought up, living in an apartment with another quad or someone who needs assistance to share caregivers. I'm not healed up yet with it getting better than getting worse thing getting better than getting worse but it's on its way to getting better now, especially since we have a solid plan of action I'm getting it healed up. I've gone through pressure mapping again and it's perfect with no pressure where the sore is but I think I cushion has a leak because every couple days we are having to put a few pumps of air in it. I was able to stay on it for a week with it still getting better but since it feels like my cushion leaks down I've been staying in bed. I'm sitting on our Roho hybrid elite, which has been working really well for me, even better than my Ride Design cushion which I enjoyed quite a bit because I didn't have to worry about it getting low on me. I've had a lot of bad luck with Roho's in the pastso I'd like to get back in one eventually. It's just so bizarre where that sore ended up, on my trochanter and not my ischium. Well thank you everyone for your well wishes. I'll probably go to an assisted living facility that works with spinal cord injuries so it's not a nursing home but it's on the other side of town of where my schools are. I'll keep everyone updated as things go on. I'm meeting up with the ASU Disability Ctr., Tuesday to check out disabled housing and what's available. After that, I'm meeting up with another quad who lives down in that area and has lived in the dorms. Hey, you never know, I might meet a cute nursing student that enjoys my sense of humor and my great parking. Ha ha
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Good luck Ryan, hope it all comes together for you.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

why not do online classes? that's a great option, especially if you're not 100% healed yet. you need to see if you can handle 4 - 6 hours up in your chair. my typical class schedule is like that(including time between classes)
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Online classes suck! JMO lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i've had the opposite experience. just depends on the class and teacher (just like any class). but you can do them at your pace and in bed. for someone dealing with pressure sores, that's a huge advantage
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I work in residence life (running the dorms on college campuses) and used to work in AZ. Both Univ of AZ and Northern AZ Univ offered apartment-style housing for older students / grad students and one even had family housing units. Im betting ASU probably has soething similar if you want to live on campus but don't want to deal with the late-night parties and fire alarms

I lived on campus when I was 25-28. I had a private room; I would not have wanted to share because of bathroom issues, including spending so long in there. At first I was in a freshman dorm and it was noisy. Later I lived in the law school housing (although I was not a law student) where people were older, some married with kids, and it was much better. I had a 1-bedroom apartment actually with the most accessible bathroom I ever had. Wish I could go back! I did not have a caregiver, though.