Thread: Rolled it

Rolled it

Yes, fell directly forward in batroom on tile 1st time trying pull underwear up. Brain said "going to smash face directly into tile." Still not know what I did, somehow practically catch myself on floor. That baffled. Then heck getting onto rigid chair not fun on surface can slide. Somehown use arms and legs help quite a bit a magically back on chair. Still not sure how. Just pretty sure did NOT think about it and just DID it.

Glad you weren't hurt...but I would bet you'll have a sore muscle or two. Its weird how somehow your body sometimes reacts like it should after you normally spend time planning every move.

Actually should be fine. Had I smashed face, that would have been interesting.

Please be careful.

I work in police dispatch. Before Christmas, a woman fell while she was getting out of the tub. It was an extremely small bathroom and she hit her head on the sink on the way down.

It was enough force to be a fatal neck injury. Her legs stayed on the edge of the tub so she was diagonal to the floor and she stayed like that for a few days. Unfortunately the other person residing there had some cognitive difficulties so it went unreported until a neighbour realized they hadn't seen her out and about ...

Just be careful - especially if you live alone. Accidents do happen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yeah its fucking weird how the mind works. You could agonise for hours over "what ifs" but when these "what ifs" actually happen your body just seems to go into this weird auto pilot where everything is shut out and you just physically react. Next thing you know you are safe and seem to be miraculously unharmed.

I had this phenomena happen to me often when i was still walking around with my beckar's MD. I could fall somewhere, sometimes in very difficult circumstances, but manage to somehow get myself back on my feet having no idea how i actually did it...also totally unhurt!.

bloody hell rlmtrhmiles, your example of this phenomena is pretty amazing. You know some people would say someone is watching over you. i don't believe in god but, shit, there's something watching over us...maybe just good fear or flight mechanism?
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

It is strange.. Live by myself. Just asked 1 day a few years back for 1 more try. Said won't give up. Said won't put time frame on it. Said just want keep making progress no matter how little or big. Just wnated keep going forward. Not know if ever get there, but most of time, feels pretty good making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Yeah its fucking weird how the mind works. You could agonise for hours over "what ifs" but when these "what ifs" actually happen your body just seems to go into this weird auto pilot where everything is shut out and you just physically react. Next thing you know you are safe and seem to be miraculously unharmed.

I had this phenomena happen to me often when i was still walking around with my beckar's MD. I could fall somewhere, sometimes in very difficult circumstances, but manage to somehow get myself back on my feet having no idea how i actually did it...also totally unhurt!.

bloody hell rlmtrhmiles, your example of this phenomena is pretty amazing. You know some people would say someone is watching over you. i don't believe in god but, shit, there's something watching over us...maybe just good fear or flight mechanism?
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 02-25-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: typo

lynn - as long as I do not get POed at myself, I always look at these as another unplanned therapy routins that I seem get better at each get up.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Please be careful.

I work in police dispatch. Before Christmas, a woman fell while she was getting out of the tub. It was an extremely small bathroom and she hit her head on the sink on the way down.

It was enough force to be a fatal neck injury. Her legs stayed on the edge of the tub so she was diagonal to the floor and she stayed like that for a few days. Unfortunately the other person residing there had some cognitive difficulties so it went unreported until a neighbour realized they hadn't seen her out and about ...

Just be careful - especially if you live alone. Accidents do happen.

Yeah you gotta sometimes approach living alone with a disability exactly like those guys who do that free climbing, where they have no ropes, hooks or nets.

You have to be careful like your life depends on it. It's sad that we may need to be so vigilant but that's just a fact of life.

Safety above all else!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    lynn - as long as I do not get POed at myself, I always look at these as another unplanned therapy routins that I seem get better at each get up.
    The first time I fell alone, was off the bed, 8 years ago, I landed no the floor, didn't get hurt, no one was near, of course the phone was out of reach. 30 minutes later I finally got back on the bed. I felt like I free climbed Mt. Rushmore.... The sweat and shortness of breath were surreal, that was the point I knew I would do it again and started "planned" excursions from the floor. Actually I started with the couch and worked up to the bed in the "planned" maneuvers, they where somewhat doable, and when I got good I went back to the mountain. I really am good at getting up now, it took a long time to get it together again too, I'm glad I did it, I live and work alone. It's a necessity, not a skill for me.