Thread: Easier way to keep back-up chair battery in good health?

Easier way to keep back-up chair battery in good health?

I got a new powerchair, and my plan is to keep my old powerchair as back up. But in order to keep it operational, they told me I have to run the battery on my old chair an hour a week, then charge it fully. This is a hassle to do indefinitely. Is there any easier way to keep my old chair's battery in ready-to-use condition w/o my PCA's having to put a block under it and put a binder on the joystick to run it each week?

Thanks!
    May the fetus you save be gay

Is it the same type as your new one? If so can you switch them out, put one in the other, every other, oh, oh month? You said, they said every week, that is a hassle unless trading back and forth is easy. Lead acid batteries might be able to be kept up with a trickle charge if that is what you have. Probably better start there. What battery type is it?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

As I started read, 1st idea is run periodically. Are you able to run these things without needing to get onto it? Switching als a good idea, but I guess that is similar hassle. Bottom one is, it must go through use-charg cycles or will be useless.

You might just get a trickle charger and keep it on that. Be sure to disconnect the leads to the chair when you hook the charger to the battery. That's the way I keep my lawn mower good over the winter.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Battery type is the key to answer. SLA, sealed lead acid should be able to withstand a trickle or intermittent trickle, but others have issues with it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I would not bother getting in the chair, just keep it charged up. I think that will be adequate. If you have kids in your immediate or extended family there is nothing they like better than tearing around the house in a power chair. Your spare chair will be begging for a rest after the kids exercise it.

The charging port should also be capable of draining the battery. Perhaps you could find someone to build a build a "lamp" powered by your chair. Five household 20 watt light bulbs (not CFLS!) in parallel should give you about a 4 amp draw. A series arrangement of 2 12V automotive headlamps would also work.

A bonus is the power technically isn't wasted if you light the room with it. I'd put a timer on it though to make sure you don't run the batteries down too low.

Draining GELL or AGM batteries is not necessary! Charge the batteries every two weeks and it will be fine.. Moving the chair periodically will keep the tires from developing flat spots [especially foam filled ones] and keep the gear box grease from settling on the bottom.

thanks for the ideas everyone! unfortunately my new chair is a much newer model so the batteries aren't compatible (invavare MK series). plus i have elevator seat and tilt, so removing the battery takes a pro (super lame).
    May the fetus you save be gay