Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: The Airport Miracles

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    once abs find out w/c accessible rooms are bigger, they book them. i actually have confronted both hotels and ab patrons. the hotels say unless the ab guest agrees to move out of w/c accessible, they can do nothing. cruiseships, like hotels, don't really check or care. it is very, very frustrating. i, personally, wish these abs never found out. i once encountered a whole airline crew taking up w/c accessible rooms in hotel. i can't even stomach ppl like paracathy who do it for fun.
    I have a theory that the abuse of booking h'cap rooms by AB's is in large part responsible for the sky high beds hotels continue to place in h'cap rooms. The abuse is so widespread that most h'cap rooms are utilized by AB's, not gimps, and they expect to find their nice high beds in addition to the nice big room/bathroom. Almost all wheelchair users and elderly with mobility issues don't like high beds but hotels are in the business of satisfying the needs of AB's who just like the bigger room - the same folks who always take the handicapped stall for the same reason.

  2. #22
    Karma might get them........

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I have a theory that the abuse of booking h'cap rooms by AB's is in large part responsible for the sky high beds hotels continue to place in h'cap rooms. The abuse is so widespread that most h'cap rooms are utilized by AB's, not gimps, and they expect to find their nice high beds in addition to the nice big room/bathroom. Almost all wheelchair users and elderly with mobility issues don't like high beds but hotels are in the business of satisfying the needs of AB's who just like the bigger room - the same folks who always take the handicapped stall for the same reason.
    I hate those sky high beds. As I recall from talking to someone who knows the only new ADA requirement for new construction and remodel is that there has to be clear space under the bed for portable lifts. I'm pretty sure he said bed height was not considered.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I hate those sky high beds. As I recall from talking to someone who knows the only new ADA requirement for new construction and remodel is that there has to be clear space under the bed for portable lifts. I'm pretty sure he said bed height was not considered.
    You are right, for some strange reason ADA Guidelines have no specs re bed height. I have traveled since 1973 using hotels extensively. Absolutely no problems re beds in h'cap rooms until the last 5 or 6 years. Suddenly these sky high beds, both my wife and I are chair users, so frustrating.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    You are right, for some strange reason ADA Guidelines have no specs re bed height. I have traveled since 1973 using hotels extensively. Absolutely no problems re beds in h'cap rooms until the last 5 or 6 years. Suddenly these sky high beds, both my wife and I are chair users, so frustrating.
    Finding a place with a bed that the hoyer legs can go under not easy either.
    We have a reunion in northern MN this summer and the only place that works is quite expensive.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Finding a place with a bed that the hoyer legs can go under not easy either.
    We have a reunion in northern MN this summer and the only place that works is quite expensive.
    I think Microtel may have a policy that all beds in h'cap rooms be able to accommodate lifts, however, that is no assurance they all comply. Their policy is also no beds higher than 25" and we encountered a higher bed in a brand new Microtel in Ga and staff were unable to provide a maintenance person to lower the bed. Call in advance and get staff to check bed in your reserved room.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    .......... accessible cabins on cruise ships.
    Yes, Timaru. Another good example. All cruise lines should enact a policy whereby, if you are found to be AB in a w/c cabin, you are keel hauled!

  8. #28
    http://travelswithpain.com/2013/02/2...t-the-airport/

    just saw this...reply to the WSJ article
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Similar Threads

  1. Miles for Miracles
    By xiamenmom in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 01:59 AM
  2. The Attribution of Miracles
    By john smith in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
  3. do you belive in miracles?
    By adi chicago in forum Life
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 11:06 AM
  4. On miracles and magic
    By marmalady in forum Cure
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 10:19 PM
  5. Recipe for Miracles
    By Birde in forum Life
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2001, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •