Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paralysed dogs regain movement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paralysed dogs regain movement

Paralysed dogs regain movement

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18624955.100

A pioneering treatment allows dogs to recapture some movement, raising hopes that the method will work in people too

A PIONEERING treatment has allowed paralysed dogs to regain some movement. The results have raised hopes that the method will work in people too.

So far, nine dogs paralysed in road accidents or by spinal disc injuries have been treated by veterinary surgeons Robin Franklin and Nick Jeffery of the University of Cambridge. Within a month, all regained the ability to make jerky movements in their hind legs, Jeffery told a meeting in Birmingham, UK, this week, although they are only slowly gaining the ability to support their own weight.

Many different approaches to treating spinal injuries are being explored, but promising results in small animals such as rats have often not been repeated in larger animals. That is one of the reasons why the dog results are exciting, says Geoffrey Raisman of the Institute of Neurology at University College London, one of the pioneers of the method used by ...

Jeremy,
    This was done through the olfactory cells I believe harvested from the bulb itself.

They just recently well within the last year
    started recruiting patients and getting this all together.

The animals used are CHRONIC.

I will write Dr. Jeffery and see if he would come on board and tell us all about it.
    If he won't for me..maybe he will for Dr. Wise.

Right on Lindox! These type of news are very inspiring. I hope there's more info on this, please keep us posted. Thanx

Ruff. . . .ruff!!! Do their tails wag now?

The cells were most likely extracted from the nasal mucosa; specifically, the olfactory epithelium [the lining of the nose, I believe]:

Nasal and frontal sinus mucosa of the adult dog contain numerous olfactory sensory neurons and ensheathing glia.

Skinner AP, Pachnicke S, Lakatos A, Franklin RJ, Jeffery ND.

Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ES, UK.

Olfactory glial cells have been the focus of much recent research interest because of their possible future use as cellular transplants in repair of spinal cord injury. Although olfactory glial cells can be collected from the olfactory bulb for in vitro culture, alternative sites would be preferable for safer surgical access. This study was designed to investigate the distribution of olfactory sensory neurons and olfactory glial cells within the canine peripheral olfactory system. Using immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy on perfused tissue we demonstrate that olfactory sensory neurons are found in both the caudal nasal and the frontal sinus epithelia. Olfactory ensheathing glia were found in the mucosa at both these sites implying that surgical access for harvesting cells for transplantation would be straightforward.
    The New Scientist article appears to be the application of these epithelium-derived OEGs. The benefits of this include, at a minimum, safer extraction procedures for autologous transplants. Dr. Lima could also implement this research rather quickly by stripping out the non-epithelial cells, deriving the OEGs, and transplanting a pure population of OEGs into the spinal cord.

I believe McKay-Sims is currently doing similar work as a part of his trials.

-Steven
    ...like a diamond, in the rough

Thanks Steven. When I was bugging Dr. Jeffery
    he said from the olfactory bulb..but that was
    I believe in September of last year.

Glad he did find patients...we got with the Dachshund Club of England to find him some chronic SCI dogs..but they didn't seem to have many. If they don't naturally/surgically regain function..well they get PTS.

Were you able to read the entire article?
    Guess I better buy a subscription and do that.
    I wonder what they meant by leg jerking?
    SCI dogs do have spastic activity too. But
    the fact they are now starting to bear weight
    that's pretty amazing if you know about long term downed dogs..pretty amazing.

Hope Dr. Jeffery will answer my email and come on and let us know the history of the dogs and well everything.

Anytime, Lindox. I looked at their work recently and saw that the abstract below was published in February. Given that publishing times for scientific journals can be [as a safe estimate] about six months minimum, I am only guessing that this is the technique they used.

I don't have access to the article, but am definitely aware of the functional deficits in "downed dogs". It is a good thing that they are regaining hind limb movement, and I hope Dr. Jeffery does come and share what he caan.

-Steven

Lucky dogs..

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

Sorry Steven for implying about "downed dogs."
    That's dogfolk talk.

Seems many people haven't really witnessed the similarities between the two species when they are SCI...extremely close to being identical in presentation. And even those that do recover functions..they correlate to the human recovery processes it appears.

I wonder though the differences in the OEC's in canines vs. humans? Are they the same in content? Most likely not in distribution.

Not a problem about the language, Lindox. I put it in quotes because I was unsure of the lingo.

The full text is now available. One scary part:

Franklin is looking for an alternative source of OEG cells, as three of the nine dogs have suffered seizures as a result of the surgery. The team has found a form of stem cell in the nasal mucosa that can be turned into OEGs in the lab. These cells can be collected by inserting a simple swab into the nose. The Australian team is using a similar approach.
    33% chance of a seizure? Uh, no thanks.

-Steven