Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: garden

garden

its getting that time

i saw the neatess thing going to make my own planters for seeds

newpaper bottle and flour water glue

going to start tomatoes and a pepper salsa mix i saw on burbee

then get watermelon and canalope

but i am going to cheat and buy 2 platts of strawberries to freeze same with blueberris

I have used the newspaper pot method of seed starting in the past and never again. The paper deteriorates too fast. The pots do not hold up until the tomatoes are ready to go to the garden. I use peat pots and they hold up better. I can plant the whole thing in the garden. I can even put a small pot into a bigger peat pot if I have to (I usually do as my tomato seeds were started on Feb 1). I but the small and the medium sizes. I also use them to seed start things that most plant directly in the ground as I use corn gluten to control weeds and seeds do not germinate in that soil. I keep an organic garden and have to get creative to get cukes and melons and peas and beans without fighting the bermuda grass.

I am still harvesting salad from my kitchen window box twice a week that I planted in November when the outside lettuce got cold.

Be careful with strawberries. Unless you can contain them, the runners can take over your space. We use a raised bed made of cinder block (makes it easier to pick berries from a chair) and any runners that cannot be redirected into the bed are pinched off. I planted them the spring after Ry got hurt (strawberries are his favorite) and four years later, I still have some from last year in the freezer.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

i am so glad ypu responded on newspaper i was wondering about that too

i looking at peat pots do you go on line or from box store?

i live by myself and caretaker would have to tend strawberries and blueberries

so it be easier to buy from farm down the road from me

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    I have used the newspaper pot method of seed starting in the past and never again. The paper deteriorates too fast. The pots do not hold up until the tomatoes are ready to go to the garden. I use peat pots and they hold up better. I can plant the whole thing in the garden. I can even put a small pot into a bigger peat pot if I have to (I usually do as my tomato seeds were started on Feb 1). I but the small and the medium sizes. I also use them to seed start things that most plant directly in the ground as I use corn gluten to control weeds and seeds do not germinate in that soil. I keep an organic garden and have to get creative to get cukes and melons and peas and beans without fighting the bermuda grass.

I am still harvesting salad from my kitchen window box twice a week that I planted in November when the outside lettuce got cold.

Be careful with strawberries. Unless you can contain them, the runners can take over your space. We use a raised bed made of cinder block (makes it easier to pick berries from a chair) and any runners that cannot be redirected into the bed are pinched off. I planted them the spring after Ry got hurt (strawberries are his favorite) and four years later, I still have some from last year in the freezer.--eak

Getting my raised beds ready for my tomatoes, which will go in (seedlings) in mid-March. My mother's PCAs used to take care of her tomatoes for her...and picked them and prepared food for her with them (salads, BLTs, etc.).

Pruned all my roses last weekend...scratches all over my arms above my gauntlet gloves, and got sunburned (had a glorious weekend in So. California).

Also putting in some additional perineals in my flower gardens this weekend.

(KLD)

I get my peat pots online by the gross. They do not go anywhere any storing them is not an issue for me. I think the ones I have now are at least two years old (maybe more) but they are fine. I do get new potting soil each year at the local box store as it is bulky and shipping is expensive.

Garden space is not an issue for me. I have been able to build raised beds (I like cinder blocks with steel bars (like re-bar) every couple of staggered blocks. It was a pain to set up but they have been stable for years. I have one bed that is two blocks above ground and two that are four blocks high. This allows Ry to be able to tend as much as he wants at a height that works for him. The only permanent bed is the strawberries. Blueberries, apples and grapes are farther from the house where I let nature do the watering. I have at least another three months of veggies in my freezer to eat before I get new fresh ones to start restocking. The tomatoes I froze last August taste at least 1000% better than any canned product from the store in my pasta sauce.

Growing your own food takes effort. The flavor alone makes it worth it. When you add the money you save and the fact that you know where it has been-not to mention to increased nutritional value because the "fresh" veggies at the store are at least a week old before they get there. No carrot tastes as good as the one you pull, wash and eat.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

tomatoes are up so jalapeno watermelon and canalopes
    too

I've got two square foot gardens going one, is 10 x3 and the other is 8 x 3, I bought mel bartholomews new book, made his special soil and the plants are growing wild, my wife built it and I'm tending it, it's great for paraplegics and walking quads, I tend it with a light aluminum chair I walk around with. Have daikon, carrots, sunflowers, tomatoes, cantelopes, cucumbers, mustard greens, Jerusalem artichokes, beets, bush beans, sweet snap peas, assorted flowers, chives and some others. I think mels mix is magical.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

I just have black gold aged horse manure and lots of it

Photo of my rooftop kale/Swiss chard factory with winter cover:

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I just have black gold aged horse manure and lots of it
    mels mix is 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 composted manure, different kinds if possible including worm compost and 1/3 peat moss, it's friable (very loose) so it's easy to weed, the compost supplies nutrients and the vermiculite stores water.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"