Thread: Using VA's online MedSurg Catalog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using VA's online MedSurg Catalog

I got a PM asking how to use the VA's MedSurg catalog. I don't know how to attach pictures to a PM so I'm posting an example here. I'm not very good at using it, but I've played around with it, and learned a few tricks.

Let's look for an easy-to-find product: a 16x16 Stimulite Sport cushion. First you need to know the manufacturer: Supracor. Just click the drop-down menu and scroll to the Contractor Name. To narrow the search because Supracore makes a lot of stuff, enter a simple key term before you search: I chose "sport," and got lucky.

Attachment 48698

Then click the Search Button to display some results:

Attachment 48699

Then click the Catalog Number link to display more than you ever wanted to know:

Attachment 48700
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Why would anyone need to learn how to do this? Accurate product information and appropriate medical justification for an item from the prescribing clinician are what are necessary for the VA to provide an item. Regarding the former, specific product information (e.g. part numbers) will be more accurate and current if it is obtained from the company selling the product.

Someone besides me thought it be would helpful, Steve, or I wouldn't have received the PM question.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I found it helpful.

When you go into the VA, or any bureaucracy, and you ask for help by stating your need, the clinician has to do the work of finding a solution to your need. If you do your own research and walk in saying "I have this need, this is the solution that my research shows will work best for me, and here is the line item order number," that clinician has no work to do other than inputting the order.

Generalizing, presenting a possible solution when stating a problem is more likely to get quick results than simply stating the problem. The only thinking the approving authority has to do is make a yes / no decision, and that decision is influenced by the fact that a no answer means more work.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I found it helpful.

When you go into the VA, or any bureaucracy, and you ask for help by stating your need, the clinician has to do the work of finding a solution to your need. If you do your own research and walk in saying "I have this need, this is the solution that my research shows will work best for me, and here is the line item order number," that clinician has no work to do other than inputting the order.

Generalizing, presenting a possible solution when stating a problem is more likely to get quick results than simply stating the problem. The only thinking the approving authority has to do is make a yes / no decision, and that decision is influenced by the fact that a no answer means more work.
    I agree with you about providing detailed information, I'm just saying that the MedSurge Catalog will not the best source the vast majority of the time. Personally, I've never seen any need to refer to it.

With most of the items discussed in these forums, it will be much more useful (and accurate) to look up the specific product information from the manufacturer's web site.

For example, try searching for "Roho". There are multiple vendors listed--none of which is actually the Roho Group. The VA is going to buy directly from the manufacturer whenever possible, so it essentially provides no useful information.

Today I found the MedSurg catalog to be helpful.

Four+ weeks ago, Va ordered me a TiLite single-swivel antitip (TIP4/DU100069), and it seemed to be taking a long time to arrive. So I went to MedSurg catalog, looked it up, and found that TiLite indicates a minimum time of six+weeks between order and delivery (37 days production and >5 days shipping). So I can be comfortably patient awhile longer.

Attachment 48739
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>