Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: gregoire courtine lausanne Switzerland

  1. #21
    this is freaking great man. success in big animals that is unbelievable and it is in a few seconds not months. Yes.....

  2. #22
    This is one way communication isn't it?

    It doesn't say anything about sensation being passed back to the brain, so no fix for bbs. Or have I missed something?

    It does look interesting though, I wonder why they didn't record the signal that the brain sends out and then replay it triggered by a hand held button.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    This is one way communication isn't it? I wonder why they didn't record the signal that the brain sends out and then replay it triggered by a hand held button.
    Here they're making a closed loop system between the brain signals and leg muscles. They're driving that stimulation based on activity decoded from the brain. It's a wireless system so there is no need to operate a hand held button to take a step. They've spent years learning which motor neurons need activated in order to produce gait where muscles flex and extend at the exact right time. Other stimulation labs are working on sensation, cardio, AD, bowel, bladder, blood pressure...

  4. #24
    All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well.
    And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Here they're making a closed loop system between the brain signals and leg muscles. They're driving that stimulation based on activity decoded from the brain. It's a wireless system so there is no need to operate a hand held button to take a step. They've spent years learning which motor neurons need activated in order to produce gait where muscles flex and extend at the exact right time. Other stimulation labs are working on sensation, cardio, AD, bowel, bladder, blood pressure...
    If its closed loop how does the signal get back to the brain - or is that done over the wireless connection as well? Sorry if its obvious, the article didn't cover this.

    Regarding the button press, I was just thinking this would be a better way of trying things without needing to put something into someones brain. I'm not so sure I trust something thats going to go there.

  6. #26
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    17,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well.
    And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind
    Me too. I stay single and am passing up on some great men until otherwise. It just doesn't work to my satisfaction otherwise.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    If its closed loop how does the signal get back to the brain - or is that done over the wireless connection as well? Sorry if its obvious, the article didn't cover this.
    Here's a link with a simple schematic to show the concept. The Supplement 1 in the paper is copyright so I didn't display it here.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-12-2016 at 11:18 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    All I'd need for now is my genitalia communicate with my brain in order to enjoy sex again, in other words enjoy life again... I hope they're working on it as well. And then the rest can wait a bit longer, I don't mind
    The Courtine lab (as far as I know) are working solely on locomotion and gait.

  9. #29

    other research in the lab

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The Courtine lab (as far as I know) are working solely on locomotion and gait.
    interesting article information. I believe this is in the same lab

    http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...n-Barraud.aspx

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESRRR View Post
    interesting article information. I believe this is in the same lab

    http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...n-Barraud.aspx
    ???

    "In our lab our strategy is a bit different. We focus on utilizing what is left following an injury, what is spared by the lesion. In most of the cases, in humans, only a small part of the tissue is spared. We want to take advantage of this spared tissue and allow the brain to access the spinal cord again after the lesion. For this, we have developed a method of electrical stimulation of the spinal cord combined with pharmacological stimulation."

    "We are developing multifaceted neuroprosthetic systems, robotic interfaces and advanced neurorehabilitation procedures that we combine with neuroregenerative interventions. Using genetically modified mice, optogenetics, and novel viral tools, we also seek to uncover the neural mechanisms underlying the control of locomotion in intact animals, as well as the processes that reestablish motor functions after neuromotor disorders." Link|

    They don't have the neuroprosthetic E-Dura on the market yet and still need to implement the proposed pharmacological piece. It's pretty good that they've moved from rat - primate - to preliminary human trials with just the implant alone. Other combo strategies could be decades away so I wouldn't be expecting stem cell treatments, neurotrophin, etc anytime soon from this prosthetic lab.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-18-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. help paralyzed walk - Gregoire Courtine
    By Adam Czeladzki in forum Spinal Cord Injury News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 04:02 AM
  2. Research from Switzerland
    By vito in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM
  3. STEMCELLS, Switzerland
    By SCINurse in forum Cure
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 01:33 AM
  4. Travel to Switzerland
    By vsu in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •