Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can he go BACK to inpatient therapy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can he go BACK to inpatient therapy?

My husband is 7 1/2 months post and we are finally coming out of the "haze" of medical problems and illnesses , and thinking about therapy therapy therapy. Is inpatient therapy even a possibility in the future for him (under Medicaid) ? He does outpatient now but not much, and of coarse try to do as much as possible at home. I just wonder , if we found an awesome facility , would they cover it????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    My husband is 7 1/2 months post and we are finally coming out of the "haze" of medical problems and illnesses , and thinking about therapy therapy therapy. Is inpatient therapy even a possibility in the future for him (under Medicaid) ? He does outpatient now but not much, and of coarse try to do as much as possible at home. I just wonder , if we found an awesome facility , would they cover it????
    Where in Pennsylvania do you live?

Don't worry JG, nrf is a good guy, no stalker

titusville

Therapy has to become your lifestyle.
    You have to do it yourself.....

I agree therapy needs to become your lifestyle. Now starts a recovery that will quite possibly never end. We work like crazy to learn and push our limits and we try to get our lives back. The two dynamics build upon each other.

I really can't answer your question about the feasibility of going back to inpatient therapy. I suggest that you contact Kennedy Kreiger or the Reeve Network and see if they have programs, but you would likely have to travel.

Do your best to reach out and find a way to interact with others with SCI. Look for work shops, sports clinics or other adaptive opportunities.

I am afraid you will find it very difficult to get authorization for another acute rehab stay once you have done this already, from any insurance, for the same injury, much less Medicaid. You can try talking to the people at the rehab center where he was initially, but I would not be surprised if he would not be able to secure pre-authorization.

He needs to maximize his outpatient program and have them set him up with a home program he can do between sessions there (which are also likely to not be authorized for much longer).

(KLD)

For myself, I hate the word "therapy". Sounds like we are incapable of doing what needs to be done. I doubt I've ever benefitted with anytype of continued therapy once I've been shown how to do it.

Change that dang word to "training". Gives a much stronger connotation and the attitude of an athlete training for life.

Best thing he could do for himself is to find a good trainer who thinks outside of the box and get into wheelchair sports or anytype of sports. He'll get more "therapy" from other athletes than anywhere else.

Blog Entries
    Depending on his level he may benefit from electronic stimulation that often is only available from "rehab". Many with a paraplegic or incomplete quad injury can develop a quality home program. It is much more difficult for an Asia A quad to train at home without assistance.
    If you have a local college or university you may be able to get assistance from their rehab and exercise related departments. The more he does on his own the better, but I wouldn't limit myself to it.

Check out the second look program at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
    http://www.ric.org/conditions/spinal...s/second-look/

I volunteer there, and I have worked with patients in the program that were in situations similar to yours.