Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damm, just found out I have a DVT in the right upper leg tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    ...clip...

I really wonder if stopping using my FES bike has something to do with all this. I've not used it for the past 3 months, got lazy with the routine. Have not been standing either. I think probably both those things help out in preventing things like this happening...clip...
    I bet so. My legs are not worth much, but I can move them and believe me I do move them. I've heard enough scary stories how people get DVTs and the consequences from not enough motion.

BTW, just a heads up, once this is cleared, you may have a tough time getting off coumadin. I barely escaped, but they said since I only had one DVT/PE instance, it would be acceptable to stop. I think I stayed on for three months, that may be a bad guess, but it was a minimum in some of their minds.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Have you had tests to rule out clotting disorders?

If you get chest pain or shortness of breathe, get thee to a hospital or call 911. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars...
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Curt thinking of you brother, do you have a doctor that knows you, and can you call him and see what he thinks?

Stevie P

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    Curt thinking of you brother, do you have a doctor that knows you, and can you call him and see what he thinks?

Stevie P
    best answer, IMHO
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Did the tennis chair roll away from you while transferring? I used to put mine in a corner to help brace it while transferring, that way it couldn't roll backwards in the middle of a transfer.

Yeah, you gotta get back on that fes and stand buddy. I've got close to a 100 miles in on the fes this year already and around 90 on the handcycle. Not too bad for an old 64 yr. old.

My friend's DVT likely started from a long airplane flight to Peru. Airlines now advise passengers on long trips to regularly move their legs or get up and take a few steps. Some SCIs seem prone to DVTs. If you get a DVT within the first five post injury, you are more likely to have a recurrence than SCIs who get through those 5 years without one.

You have to be careful about getting these things diagnosed. My leg started swelling and turning red one morning. I figured it was a fracture or a DVT. I did not have a fall but I have osteoporosis and knew fractures come easy. My doc immediately diagnosed it as a DVT and started pumping the anti-coagulants in. Three days later it was correctly diagnosed as a bad spiral fracture. The blood thinners made the fracture site a mess and delayed surgery by a week. The M.D. who would not listen to my plea to do a basic x-ray to rule out a fracture immediately became history. We later concluded that the nature of the fracture and the timing of the swelling suggested that it occurred in bed when I rolled over with the foot caught in the bed linens.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm diabetic and used to give my shots in the stomach. Not hard or painful. Ask the Dr to prescribe the medicine and syringes and do it yourself. Should save a lot. Good luck with this and the tournaments!

Interesting article on exercise after a blood clot is being treated in the leg. I'm glad I did not stay in the hospital and just lay there in bed, there is now evidence moving around is a better approach towards recovery than the old school idea of bedrest after this sort of thing. http://www.inate.org/en/1/2/6/956/default.aspx
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Sorry to you hear you had a DVT, Curt! Good you're not hardheaded...with the exception of staying in the hospital. That's a good hardheaded move. I've lost 2 friends and waiting to pull the plug on another, with SCI, any day. Two went into the hospital with pneumonia, one minor surgery. Dead or dying from UTI infection gone wrong. No existing UTI upon hospital admission. Phish!

Good article! Don't over do it, rest well, and hope you heal in light speed!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Thanks, I probably over did it a little this afternoon, polished the car and went for a wheel in the area with my powered wheels so was not too much work, but definately got my heart rate up. I dunno, I sometimes think laying in bed is the worst thing possible, seems like moving around is a good thing. Hopefully I can recover from this thing really quickly and get back to my life. Sorry to hear about your freinds Charlotte, that is so sad.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred