Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how long for quads get used to no armrests

If you must remove them, maybe consider a belt - for a while anyway. I carry one in my backpack - it's 2" wide, elastic, adjustable length.

For housecleaning and the need to lean far forward or sideways, it "gives" because it's elastic, and it's easy to push myself back upward. For certain places I go where there's a bumpy parking lot, I wear it to keep from flopping forward.

I'll add that my current chair is the first with push handles in past 40 years - they come in handy if you need to wrap your arm around in order to reach down.
    I also use one armrest when shoulder aches, I find it comes in handy when shopping, and getting items closer that have fallen.
    In short, I wish wheelchair designers made a custom tool/reacher to carry out of sight on the chair.
    Last edited by triumph; 02-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.

rollin - doing the removal in a progression is a great way. That slowly introduces your body. Also like mentioned here people use them for many reasons other than someone pushing you. What is your reason for removing?

I hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him, but his reason for removing these is in his other thread. The new Aero Z is much heavier than he expected (heavier than a previous GPV) and his gf is the one who loads it into the vehicle, so he doesn't want her hurting her back.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

i'll admit, looks is one reason i wanna minimize but not the main reason. the main reason is to lighten it up for my fiance because she has to lift it up and put it in our hatchback.

just rolling around the house it feels fine. i just feel a little wobbly cause i'm used to squeezing my armrests with my elbows to steady myself.

i have been learning to grab the wheel or the push handles help give me some stability also.

as far as the jay3 it did feel pretty good but this cloth back isn't bad either. i feel like i may need to lean it more forward. it's at 92 degrees now

all in all it's pretty damn comfortable. i'll try an get a pic with me in it and see what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    i'll admit, looks is one reason i wanna minimize but not the main reason. the main reason is to lighten it up for my fiance because she has to lift it up and put it in our hatchback.
    Are you sure she uses the right technique?
    I put my wife's wheelchair in our hatchback and I never had to lift it up entirely, I put the caster wheels on the bumper and lift the rear with one hand until the chair rolls in. Usually ABs tend to use brute force, as Archimedes said: "Give me a fulcrum, and I shall move the world".

Depended on the seat dump and cog. In a chair with minimal or no seat dump I never did get adjusted. In a chair with 3 inches plus of seat dump it was easier.

I personally never used armrests. I keep my hands on my wheels or lap if I'm not moving.

Yeppers! Those things are NOT light. Unfortunatetely, I do not think many suppliers inform much about technical of a wheelchair. Weight being one thing. If never bought one and now speccing one, heck "what is the difference between 20 and 22 lbs?" Your brain is saying trivial - 2 lbs nothing. Look at it differently and those 2 lbs are 10 % of total weight. What else in your daily routine could you simply add/remove 10? of that weight and successfully execute?
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 02-17-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typma

If you move from a solid back to a soft, there are far more difficulties with what that solid back is doing for you that a soft will not. The soft "stretches" continually as you use that for support and even more if using that as support when you are pushing and even more on an incline. The wears the soft extrememly quick. This is just something to think about if you are not aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I remember you were considering the Q7 or the Rogue for your back... So I think you had good reason to get the jay 3, and its a great back! I hope you can find out how to make it work. Either purchasing lighter hardware, or some modification like some have done with rigid backs.
    you're right ~Lin, the jay3 is really comfortable. i can notice a BIG weight difference without it though. i still have it so may change back if this cloth back starts bothering me.

i got the 3" depth so that mighta helped steady me up without the armrests. we all have to dial em in so i'll get it right after some changing around. i wasn't thinking that she could pull it off before lifting too.