Thread: prescriptions

prescriptions

do you really need to go in every month to get finger stuck for warfin?

insane i never use to

lets see 3,00 drug store

33.20 insurance

25.00 dr vist

61.00 a month for 30 pills that cost 3.00

Yeah, I'm afraid monthly testing is necessary. You are on warfarin (Coumadin®, Jantoven®) *rivaroxaban (Xarelto®)*, or *dabigatran etexilate (Pradaxa®)* to keep you blood from forming life threatening clots. If your INR is too high, you run the risk of bleeding or too low, and run the risk of clotting. (* Xarelto and Pradaxa are drugs that do not require the frequent testing, or changes in eating habits, but are very expensive prescription drugs*)

I take warfarin because I have atrial fibrillation. For over a year, I had to have one test a month to monitor my INR. Recently, my INR got too high and I have needed tests every two weeks. Finally, I think I am back on track. My tests are venous blood draws done at a lab. My doctor calls me with the results and directions in about 24 hours My mother also takes warfarin and her tests are finger pricks. She gets the results and directions immediately. Neither of us goes to the doctor to get our tests. At the lab I go to there is a draw fee on top of the test itself. But, Medicare and my supplement cover these tests and the drug.

The thing is you don't necessarily have to have the tests done at a doctors, office, clotting clinic, or lab. There are self test units that some insurance companies will cover. You might want to talk to your doctor and/or insurance about the possibility of self testing.

These three units are approved by the FDA for self testing:
    CoaguChek® XS Roche, www.coaguchek.com, 800-852-8766
    INRatio® HemoSense, www.hemosense.com, 877-436-6444
    ProTime® ITC, www.protimesystem.com , 800-631-5945

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-15-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    do you really need to go in every month to get finger stuck for warfin?

insane i never use to

lets see 3,00 drug store

33.20 insurance

25.00 dr vist

61.00 a month for 30 pills that cost 3.00

I am very familiar with warfarin use and monitoring.

I know it seems excessive, but it's not.

Warfarin is an extremely dangerous medication. It is one of the most frequent causes of trips to the ER for a medication complication.

Most people get a blood test once a month. It is very inconvenient but necessary. Your risk of bleeding, hospitalization and death all increase dramatically if you go less often. Your doctor before was taking a risk by not checking it more often.

Studies have actually shown that checking your INR at home with a home monitoring system can be a better alternative. That's what my Dad does now. They actually recommend weekly testing for this, as this leads to even better outcomes and is much safer. But I don't know what your insurance is. My Dad has Medicare and a supplement and all of his home testing is paid for without a co-pay.

Another alternative is just going to the lab to check your INR and not having a doctor's appointment at the same time. They can just call you with the result. That's what we used to do before the home testing.

They sent a nurse to my house weekly to check mine when I was unable to get there. She had a hand held thing and called the results in. In a few hours I'd get a phone call confirming dosage and to make adjustments if necessary.

Nobody likes being on warfarin.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Gj is right. Depending on your insurance your testing can be done at home. I do my mothers INR testing at home and it's quite simple. It's as simple as checking your blood for diabetes. Once you prick your finger you don't want to wait to long to get the blood on the strip as your blood can change it texture, possibly thin out or clot up and could possibly give an incorrect reading. Sometimes it's once a month and other times it may need to be done every week or every other week. Depending what your range is. Her doctor considers anything between 2.0-3.0 to be satisfactory. If she is out of that range the dose gets adjusted and I would then have to do it within a week. Actually , the last time we did it she was way out of range and we can't really figure out why so it has to be done again within 10 days.

As I said its quite simple. You prick the finger and quickly place blood on the strip. Once you have your reading you call a 800 number with the results and they fax it to the doctor. Within the same day we get a call back and if necessary the dose gets adjusted and then they will give you a date when to check again.

She is quite elderly and after her hip replacement it was difficult for her to have to go weekly or even monthly for that matter. It was difficult for me too since I had to bring her. She's on Medicare with a secondary and with a doctors justification we had no problem getting her approved. I would really check into it if I were you. It would make it so much easier.

I'm sure you know the trick is, is to eat a consistent diet and if you have any changes to medications and even herbs and vitamins it is very important to let your doctor know. Something as small as taking any supplements can play havoc with your levels. I hope you can get approved. It really would help out a lot. Good luck

thanks i will ask shoot can/t be any tougher than changing sp

you guys and gals are great