Thread: Lack of initiation-is it a medical term?

Lack of initiation-is it a medical term?

What would "possible lack of initiation" mean in a neurological report. My son had diffuse axonial injury(DAI) that occurred 4 years ago in an accident. He has been trying to complete his four year degree a few classes at a time, but seems reluctant to put in the extra work (or even minimal work) and I am trying to help, without getting in his way regarding independence.

I cannot decide if he is having problems initiating the assignments he has been given, or is simply less interested in his new major -a general studies rather than biology, which was his major before injury. He gets perturbed with me when I suggest a schedule, a tutor, or that he has to put in the hours in order to keep up with his assignments.

Lack of initiation is it a psychological/medical term?

Yes, lack of initiation is a term used by neuropsychologists and otherrehabilitation professionals. It is often a result of brain injury to the frontal lobe. It may also be accompanied by problems with distractability and difficulty focusing on task. I would recommend that he have an evaulation by a clinical neuropsychologist who can also assist is teaching him strategies to compensate for these types of deficits.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, lack of initiation is a term used by neuropsychologists and otherrehabilitation professionals. It is often a result of brain injury to the frontal lobe. It may also be accompanied by problems with distractability and difficulty focusing on task. I would recommend that he have an evaulation by a clinical neuropsychologist who can also assist is teaching him strategies to compensate for these types of deficits.

(KLD)
    Thank you KLD. I was wondering where to go for this type of evaluation. I think I will ask his doctor at the spinal cord clinic. I thought that his speech therapist would do a little of this (2 years ago), but I think it would be good to have the full work-up by a doctor. His last was right out of rehab after his accident-that's where I got the term.

I'm not sure if this is the same condition, but it might be worth looking into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboulia
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).