Thread: New rigid chair questions

New rigid chair questions

My current ride is a Quickie 2 HP. It is a folding chair. I'll be getting a rigid chair soon. One question is; how do the manufacturers decide on the location of the front castors with regard to the frame on a rigid chair? If they are too far back you could tip forward on your face just bending over to untie your shoes. Also, anyone try the new Quickie GT? Quickie GT It is less expensive than a titanium chair. Are the TiLite chairs worth the extra money and are they THAT much lighter? I read very positive comments about them. Thanks.

check out colours chairs, either eclipse or zephyr. best imo.
    as for casters they should be setup so its nearly impossible to flip forward.
    i would stay away from anything quickie, they are junk

fuentejps...what is your wheelchair now? I've had Quickies for many years. Granted it's not light, sleek and swift, but I've found it to be bulletproof and maintenance free. The TiLite chair owners seem awfully happy with their chairs. Also, my front fork angle is currently 60 degrees. If I go to 70 or 80 degrees with the new chair, will that make my knees higher?

Originally posted by smokey:

fuentejps...what is your wheelchair now? I've had Quickies for many years. Granted it's not light, sleek and swift, but I've found it to be bulletproof and maintenance free. The TiLite chair owners seem awfully happy with their chairs. Also, my front fork angle is currently 60 degrees. If I go to 70 or 80 degrees with the new chair, will that make my knees higher?
    i run colours eclipses, w/ 90 degree frt end.
    as for your knees being higher, the answer is no. you just adjust your footplate. i ran a quickie 2 out of rehab, the to a quikie gpv, io hated them. always something wrong w/ them.
    check the colours chairs here
    http://www.colourswheelchair.com/

Any opinions or information from other rigid manual wheelchair owners? Thanks.

Ti-Lite ZRA here, love it, Ti-Lite is a great company to deal with too. Had a A-4 before never going back to Invacare.

I use a rigid Quickie Titanium. it's my first chair, so I don't have much to compare it to. but, for the 18+ months that I've had it I've had absolutely no problems regarding the quality of the chair. it's been "bullet proof" for me as well. taken many of beatings well.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Every chair is different. Most casters can be moved, within the allowable range, to fit your needs. The GT is a nice model chair. Tilite chairs are excellent and TiLite do a great job with manufacturing. The Quickie Ti is also very well done. I have never heard of any problems with it. The price for the Quickie Ti is comparable to the TiLite ZRA and is, in my opinion, well worth it. The TiLite ZRA and Quickie Ti chairs are 15 pounds. The GT is 20.5 pounds. While pushing over any service you won't feel a major distance because 5 pounds on wheels is almost nothing. If you lift the chair into your car you will notice a difference.

Also if you get Spinergy wheels instead of normal stock wheels you can shave about 1.5 to 2 pounds of extra weight.

If you need to lift the chair then the extra money is well worth it. If not then save the money, but Titanium is the way to go either way.

Jeff Sirko
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37908