Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Done

Blog Entries
    I admit I haven't much patience for the for the bullshit, and perpetually want to remind providers that they are in a competitive industry and must earn my business. I regret going with the 1st provider who agreed to do my chair and then violated the insurance company rules. Is there any chance you could go to a few providers, and tell them that the first one to get it done gets your business? And I like 55's advice, admit to having done the same thing – telling providers I visit a website for spinal cord injured people and will share my experiences. I tend to frame it more as an incentive than a threat, but any motivation you can provide…

And I like the BBB idea.

Sometimes it's a hell of a lot less work to just buy a chair off ebay and be done with it. That's what I do. I got the chair I'm using now (a tilite aero X) and could not be more happy, not the most solid chair, but it's comfortable and seems to be holding up well, got it last summer off ebay from Ti as a demo for 500 bucks.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Getting a wheelchair is an absolute joke. Most distributors in the USA are ran by a company called UNITED SEATING AND MOBILITY. They seem to be buying all the small shops that used better insurance policies. It took my company 8 months. The original invoice to me was supposed to cost 4200 for a quickie Q7. My company which is now owned by US and M, added parts that were not covered by my insurance and parts that were redundant to the chair. They had ordered two different backrests. A Roho jetstream and a cloth back. I did end up paying out of pocket because I had a DME limit on my insurance policy. But to get anywhere with these people you must go above the head of the salesman that had fitted you with the therapist. Be sure to know exactly what you are getting. A friend of mine was given a Quickie 2 which weighs over 30 pounds fully assembled, and was a folding chair. You literally have to stay on these people like flies on shit. There purpose is to find a reason why you don't need an ultra light weight chair. I also recommend doing as much research to find places that sell replacement parts. To go back to the distributor you will most likely have to set up an appointment and wait for there terms once again. I have had my wheelchair for a little over 2 years. I have replaced a set of tires and I have gone through 6 inner tubes. I have also broken the plastic undermount brake. Even with part numbers in hand they will not help you without an appointment. http://www.southwestmedical.com will sell replacement parts online. For tires and tubes get good with a local bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsov03 View Post
    Getting a wheelchair is an absolute joke. Most distributors in the USA are ran by a company called UNITED SEATING AND MOBILITY. They seem to be buying all the small shops that used better insurance policies. It took my company 8 months. The original invoice to me was supposed to cost 4200 for a quickie Q7. My company which is now owned by US and M, added parts that were not covered by my insurance and parts that were redundant to the chair. They had ordered two different backrests. A Roho jetstream and a cloth back. I did end up paying out of pocket because I had a DME limit on my insurance policy. But to get anywhere with these people you must go above the head of the salesman that had fitted you with the therapist. Be sure to know exactly what you are getting. A friend of mine was given a Quickie 2 which weighs over 30 pounds fully assembled, and was a folding chair. You literally have to stay on these people like flies on shit. There purpose is to find a reason why you don't need an ultra light weight chair. I also recommend doing as much research to find places that sell replacement parts. To go back to the distributor you will most likely have to set up an appointment and wait for there terms once again. I have had my wheelchair for a little over 2 years. I have replaced a set of tires and I have gone through 6 inner tubes. I have also broken the plastic undermount brake. Even with part numbers in hand they will not help you without an appointment. http://www.southwestmedical.com will sell replacement parts online. For tires and tubes get good with a local bike shop.
    It kills me. I spent months doing their paperwork for them (figuring out all the needed codes). Chasing down doctors and therapists to sign the correct forms. Waiting and waiting for demo equipment (cushions and backs)that they never even bothered to try to get (although they told me they would). The entire time they continuously told me insurance would likely not cover the chair that would best suite my needs and they kept trying to push me into a TiLite. Nothing against TiLite; they just do not have what would suite me best.

The straw that broke the camel's back was they told me they sent my stuff to insurance and a few days later told me insurance needed me to gather more information. When I asked for clarification on exactly what they needed, so the PT would know what to write, they were vague and then non responsive. Finally, I called the insurance company and after being shuffled to various departments and talking to multiple people, it turns out they never submitted anything!!

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

((()))
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    ((()))
    Thanks! I think I am going to buy the chair I PMed you about before. I contacted the individual selling it and she is still willing. Won't be perfect but...

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

That stinks. I was fitted for & picked out the model for my new chair in the beginning of october, it arrived the day after christmas.

Very sad for you Essie. This should just not happen. Ineptitude is bad enough to deal with, but then when they lie about it, a mistake is made very difficult to fix, without someone needing to admit blame.

We have had that happen so many times that I have little trust in anyone on the business side of it anymore. I have found that when I write a very specific letter outlining all the valid points of what was submitted and why, what has gone wrong (without blame), and what they can do to fix it, sometimes it helps (sometimes not). Send it to everyone in the chain, and eventually someone might remedy the situation.

Don't give up yet if you might still be able to get the chair that you think will work. Perserverance for a little longer might get you there, along with being flat out obstinate and not accepting "no" for an answer. I think it finally worked for us after a 10 month struggle, and although very, very painful, I think it's worth the fight.

There were so many times I wanted to give up, but then finally, something just clicks and it finally works. I hope you can have that happen, but I can totally understand if you decide not to put more energy into it if there are other workable options.

P.S. Another thing I have found that helps is doing things only in e-mails where possible. When it must be done on the telephone, I send an e-mail confirmation about what the points of the discussion were. This helps when you need to write a letter outlining the problems -- it's a copy/paste with everyone named (and hopefully shamed into action).

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    It kills me. I spent months doing their paperwork for them (figuring out all the needed codes). Chasing down doctors and therapists to sign the correct forms. Waiting and waiting for demo equipment (cushions and backs)that they never even bothered to try to get (although they told me they would). The entire time they continuously told me insurance would likely not cover the chair that would best suite my needs and they kept trying to push me into a TiLite. Nothing against TiLite; they just do not have what would suite me best.

The straw that broke the camel's back was they told me they sent my stuff to insurance and a few days later told me insurance needed me to gather more information. When I asked for clarification on exactly what they needed, so the PT would know what to write, they were vague and then non responsive. Finally, I called the insurance company and after being shuffled to various departments and talking to multiple people, it turns out they never submitted anything!!

E
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I tried this nonsense 3+ years and pretty much all what you folks are describing. Finally I told them f*ck you and live with what I had. I did that. This time around I did pay myself to avoid what you all describe. I think if really was using a supplier I would try to find as much information out about that specific place before I start.

Hi rlmtrhmiles. I think you mean well, but I'm going to repeat what a few others have said on other threads. Not everyone has the means to pay for chairs out-of-pocket. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones, but please consider those who can not. Also, many do not have choices with suppliers, for various reasons, and we can not turn back time or change the system.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I tried this nonsense 3+ years and pretty much all what you folks are describing. Finally I told them f*ck you and live with what I had. I did that. This time around I did pay myself to avoid what you all describe. I think if really was using a supplier I would try to find as much information out about that specific place before I start.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).