Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Done

I'm Done

After many months (6) of waiting to get a new manual chair (ICON) and having the paperwork never even make it for approval to the insurance company, I am finished. I just do not understand why it takes the DME so long to get paperwork correctly completed.

I had a significant fall yesterday which resulted in a concussion and made me realize I am better off getting a chair from eBay that comes "close enough" then continuing to put my life on hold. Is this the game played by the DME/insurance companies? Wear the client down until they give up? ARGH!

Essie

PS Thanks for letting me vent
    PSS my "needed" post.
    Last edited by Essie; 02-14-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added link
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I was wondering how it was going with your new chair Essie. Sorry it's not going better. We basically had the same experience, and if all goes as planned, it will be 10+ months from the official start of the process when we get the new chair. I'm not holding my breath.

Knowing what bureaucracy is like in Holland, we did order a used chair fairly early on in the process, because we knew it would be needed anyway. Unfortunately, even that took a few months to make workable. After 2 bad falls from a bad wheelchair, I'm glad we did that, but unfortunately, too late to avoid the falls.

Is there any way you can manage a reasonable used chair so you can take your time for the exact chair that you need? It certainly helped us lower the stress, but even with that, it's been very frustrating and time consuming.

I don't blame you for venting. I think many of us can relate. It's a crazy world with medical equipment.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Not sure where you are in the US, but most hospitals have a "lending closet" where you can borrow DME until yours arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Not sure where you are in the US, but most hospitals have a "lending closet" where you can borrow DME until yours arrives.
    Yeah. I have been using a "hospital" style chair since my A4 broke. Unfortunately, it is much larger than me and my home's door frames.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I feel for you Essie. I hope the concussion is better now. I can't remember your situation well, but if you are a full-time user without a backup beyond a depot chair, I would do whatever you can to get a decent temporary and later backup chair. Have you posted a "wanted" in the Equipment & Services forum? You might be surprised with what comes up. Be sure to post a link on this thread, because I think it get's read more.These situations should just not happen...

p.s. my husband broke his femur 3 months ago because of delays and a bad fall, so I do take your situation as beyond venting and frustration.
    Last edited by elarson; 02-14-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added p.s.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I feel for you Essie. I hope the concussion is better now. I can't remember your situation well, but if you are a full-time user without a backup beyond a depot chair, I would do whatever you can to get a decent temporary and later backup chair. Have you posted a "wanted" in the Equipment & Services forum? You might be surprised with what comes up. Be sure to post a link on this thread, because I think it get's read more.These situations should just not happen...

p.s. my husband broke his femur 3 months ago because of delays and a bad fall, so I do take your situation as beyond venting and frustration.
    Thanks. I am a full time user and I have no one to blame but myself for not having a back up (my back up was destroyed in a uhaul moving incident several years back). With that said, I have never had to wait longer than a few weeks for the DME to send the paperwork to the insurance. I do not quite understand the DMEs rationale here. I would think they would want the business. Oh well. I did post a "needed" post on the other forum.

E

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Where are you in the U.S.?

Essie,
    Please post the name of your DME in the Sticky "DME Reviews..." Perhaps it will warn others away. I learned a long time ago that if you put the fear of God in the DMEs and other service providers you get better service. These days I make them aware upfront that I will be posting my experience with other people with similar need in Forums and social networks on the Internet and with local peers and professionals, for better or for worse. I do the same with company reps. They are starting to understand the impact of social media on their business and the cost of something going viral. I think this is a tactic every CC member should use. Do it upfront. Do not wait until you have a problem. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And the fact is, sharing the details of your experience can be a real help to others.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Where are you in the U.S.?
    New Hampshire

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been a para for 19 years and its never a fun experience to order a new chair. This last order was the worst. The guy got the whole order messed up on measurements. The chair wasn't long enought for my 5'8 body. I complained immediately and he decided to order a longer cushion to make up for it. I wasnt pleased with that either so I refused to use the chair. It sat unused in my house for nearly a year while I argued back and forth with the insurance company and the DME. I finally contacted the BBB and all of the sudden the ball started rolling. The had me another chair ordered and delivered QUICKLY! It's time for new tread and I'm not looking forward to dealing with them again. Hope your issue is resolved quickly.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994