Thread: Kidney stent

Kidney stent

I've been diagnosed with a 4mm stone in my L kidney, my urologist put a stent in on tuesday to help my kidney drain for a few days before stone removal (I have an infection, so no removal til that's been treated). The stent hurts like a mother, and I'm peeing blood. Lots of it, my urine looks like right red wine. If you've had a stent or anything similar, how much blood is normal, how much is too much? Same with the discomfort. SCI nurse? There've been a few clots that wouldn't strain through the strainer. I've been nauseous and dizzy, haven't eaten normally since sunday. They're going back in tomorrow to take the stone, but that's still 24 hours off...

Mag

Might want to call now. Blood isn't normal.

This stent would actually be in your ureter, not the kidney itself.

A small amount of bleeding would be considered normal...urine that is the color of white Zinfindel for example, but if it is dark red (like Merlot or Cabernet wine) you need to call the doctor or go to the ED. Are you also on antibiotics??

If this continues more than a few more hours, you need to take action now, not wait until tomorrow.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This stent would actually be in your ureter, not the kidney itself.

A small amount of bleeding would be considered normal...urine that is the color of white Zinfindel for example, but if it is dark red (like Merlot or Cabernet wine) you need to call the doctor or go to the ED. Are you also on antibiotics??

If this continues more than a few more hours, you need to take action now, not wait until tomorrow.

(KLD)
    Yes to ABX, I'm on oral cipro 2x daily, was on IV cipro when I was in the hospital. Urine starts out clear-ish, but then turns red and looks like the color of cranberry juice.

ER it is, my doctor is having me go in. And no surgery to remove the stone tomorrow as cultures came back positive. =/

yes, hope all is going to go well, i got to go thru the same thing as soon as the VA decides its time, gotta love our government..........no hurry for them.....

Thanks all, I was admitted through the ER and am still in the hospital. @airart, you're having the same issues?