Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rather odd marketing...

I think it would be bad judgement if they were teasing people with a medical necessity. But I think it would be good buzz if they are advertising beyond that.

There is a relevant comment on this topic in this Care Cure topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I think it would be bad judgement if they were teasing people with a medical necessity. But I think it would be good buzz if they are advertising beyond that.
    It is not a teaser for a cure to spinal cord injury. It is a teaser for a new wheelchair model.

Like it or not, there is competition between medical product makers. They advertise to make their product look better than the competition.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    It is not a teaser for a cure to spinal cord injury. It is a teaser for a new wheelchair model.

Like it or not, there is competition between medical product makers. They advertise to make their product look better than the competition.
    Should anyone have doubts about the intent, one need look no further than the url of the image:

http://i2.createsend1.com/ei/y/A3/CF8/68E/082539/images/tease.jpg

My395 is absolutely correct.

There is significant competition in the aluminum ultralight rigid frame market, and everyone will be introducing their latest products at the International Seating Symposium next month. They are marketing not only to end users, but also to seating clinicians and DME's--and it's a global market at that.

I hate to break the news to some of you, but if you have been visiting this forum regularly, you qualify as a custom manual wheelchair enthusiast. Don't be offended if a manufacturer is trying get your attention.

Blog Entries
    Like I said in the other thread, or tried to: I'm offended about their wasting my time and playing games with something that could be very important to me, might really affect significant purchase plans and the quality of my life. If I should hold off on a planned purchase because something better is coming along, I want to know that, in definitive terms. I have much more important things to think about than what some coy marketer is saying with glib self-indulgence. Be slick with your beer commercials, but not such a necessity. Don't usurp my attention and then just frustrate it.

Of course, I'm still paying for my power chair, am very happy that it lets me stand, and have no personal stake in this. But I still think it's disrespectful and offensive.

Remember, this is the most recent Eye on Ti newsletter which is directed toward TiLite's end users, seating clinicians, ATP's, and dealers. It is targeted marketing that happened to be posted on CareCure. Since it won't be introduced until ISS at the beginning of March, the alternative would be to hear nothing until then.

I am not offended in the least, I just found it a bit of odd marketing being as vague as it is, but as I said earlier, we are discussing it so as odd as it seems to me, the marketing is working. The style of marketing isn't unique, maybe just new to this market.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

All you need to do is look at the free publicity you have gotten them here and you can understand why they use the technique.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Yes, they knew I'd post it and it has all been so positive.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Picture of the chair aside, the copy "Put Power to the Ground" strongly suggests a motorized device which they hope will compete with similar products that have recently entered the market (e.g., SmartDrive). TiLite's announcement (it's not even an ad) is intended for an audience made up of both potential customers as well as present and future competitors. Obviously the product is not ready yet, so one objective of the announcement is to reach TiLite customers who may be on the verge of making a purchase for such a device is to hold off for the time being.

Some of the regulars around here will remember the Top End box frame chair designed by Paul "Ocuupied Frame Length" Schulte, which they announced would be on the market late in 2011. For any number of reasons the project was scrubbed. Was Top End similarly in violation of some perceived ethical breach because they trumpeted the arrival of a product that never saw the light of day? They even enlisted their Facebook and Twitter followers to help come up with a name for the chair.

These are for-profit companies in competition with other for-profit companies who happen to make products that we need. They have marketing and advertising departments just like other for-profit companies. I'm not convinced that they must be held to some imagined haloed standard. I don't see any breach of ethics or good faith in a "coming soon" announcement.