Thread: Your experiences getting off oxycodone..?

Your experiences getting off oxycodone..?

Hi all. My husband stopped taking his oxycodone (20 mg 4X day- been on for about 7 months) 11 days ago. He wants to try and stay off if possible. He has increased spasms that are driving him crazy , which we expected, though not for this long. His nerve pain has also increased (which we thought was mostly controlled by lyrica) . Can anyone tell me thier experiences getting off oxycodone as far as spasms and nerve pain go? Did you have increased nerve pain and spasms during withdrawl, and more importantly how long did they last?

I'm trying to figure out if there is any end in sight to this, if its caused by a UTI (just got a negative culture back) , caused by the withdrawl, or maybe even that the Oxycodone has been controlling his spasms all this time if thats possible? I know it doesn't control the nerve pain very well.

Take a look at this thread. Some of us shared our own experiences.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

i cold turkeyed, puked spasmed screamed for 4-5 days, spasmed shook sweat, and was a basket case for 10 more days was an emotional wreck for 3 more weeks and then over 6 months returned to the normal hell I live with Central pain, Spasms, Spasticity.

there are some drugs to minimize the withdrawal but somehow this made me at least feel alive, course I'm nuts and do no recommend this to anyone

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Imodium x 1000.

ibuprofen

eat!

Why does he want to go off of it, out of curiosity?
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

They upped his Lyrica, and everything was pretty okay after that. So, he decided it was time to try life without oxycodone... Now he has spasms like crazy (previously had hardly any) and bad nerve pain again. It has only been 12 days. I'm trying to figure out if he is still going through withdrawl and thats why he feels this bad, or if his physical symptoms should mostly be over and maybe he just can't do without the oxy right now.. We'd like to wait it out and see whats left after we are SURE that what he is experiencing isn't just withdrawl.

DOES OXYCODONE ACTUALLY CONTROL SPASMS?

In chads case, pain causes spasms. Oxy reduces the pain. Ergo the oxy stops the spasms in his case. (note: he takes OxyCotin, which is the long acting version of plain oxycodone)
    Last edited by zillazangel; 02-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Opiate withdrawal causes terrible muscle spasms even in people without nerve damage, and are even worse for someone with nerve damage. The term 'kicking the habit' supposedly comes from the leg spasms and jerks. So yes opiates act as anti-spasmodics but they're not very good because of the short-half life and the rebound spasticity.

It's a bad idea to just stop taking them without your doc knowing. If you reduce the dosage by about 5-10% per week it's reasonably easy to taper down safely and stop taking them. You might want to talk to the doc and see what he can prescribe to help with the spasms.

When I've discontinued oxycodone, the spasms are increased for about 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by avictoria; 02-16-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: more info

Yes, we will hopefully see the pain doc next week and tell him whats up. SOMEONE decided to kick it cold turkey on his own.. Stubborn man sometimes I hope he can stay off of it. When he's on, he isn't all that interested in therapy. As soon as he stopped it, he was out into the car (by himself), took off down the road (NO motor function in legs mind you), drove with a stick. Ready to tackle the world.