Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average lifespan for battery in adapted minivan?

Average lifespan for battery in adapted minivan?

Anyone know? Got mine 2 yrs ago only, but damn....it keeps dying on me. Just curious what you other minivan owners (with lowered floor, hand controls) have experienced in regards to average battery lifespan. Thanks
    May the fetus you save be gay

About the same. maybe 3 years. Even when not running, there's a lot of equipment draining the battery. In the winter I used to have to get jump starts all the time. Even after purchasing the highest cold cranking amps battery.

At the very least you should get 3 years out of a battery, unless you're making a lot of short trips, or infrequent usage.

If short trips and/or infrequent trips is your problems, you might consider having your mechanic install a battery trickle charger.

http://batterytender.com

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    I had a problem with short battery life, and switched to an Optima yellow top. It is a two stage battery that has a "deep charge" for electronics, ramp motors, and the like, and regular cranking capacity. It was a couple of hundred bucks from Amazon, but well worth the additional cost. I think that Sears has a Diehard that uses the same technology and has a longer warranty.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I have never had any issues with my van batteries. Maybe the severity of your winter seasons has some effect on your battery life.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Is it the same battery that is in your engine bay or is it on a separate system? If it's the same one that your engine runs on take it to a shop and tell them that it's draining. They'll check your van's alternator - the thing that charges the battery while you're driving.

There also may be a device - lift, etc - that's drawing a tiny amout of current when the van is off. Not sure how to fix that.

You could invest in a stronger battery. They're more expensive, but should hold out better. Look at the CA and CCA ratings on your current battery and get something with more.

MN climate may not help either.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

thanks guys. well here's the crazy thing - i do have an exterior auxilary switch on my van (got it at a RV place). i turn it off everytime i park (especially in the winter), so no power is leeched from my battery whenever i park. this fixed my van dying problems yrs ago....but now even that isn't helping.

i got the battery at walmart. i heard if you go back there they'll test your battery for free. i think i'm going to go there first (hoping its not the alternator. are there any specific signs that point to an alternator problem?).

just worried it might die if i drive there! uggg
    May the fetus you save be gay

all of a sudden your radio dies and lights dim...things start making noise, but that was in my Ford 150
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.