Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: near miss for me, not so my dog

near miss for me, not so my dog

I was nearly hit crossing a neighborhood intersection in broad daylight yesterday in my powerchair. I was in the middle of the crosswalk with my dog when a car sped away from a stop sign across from me. I thought it was over for me but fortunately he just missed me. I was focused on getting my dog out of the way --not much time for it but I got him pulled back and turned just enough so that as the car passed by me the front wheel hit his rump rather than head--sent him rolling away from the car with a yelp. The driver just sat in the middle of the road--thought he was going to run. I yelled I had his plate number and started a call to 911. That got him to pull over and walk back to check on how me and my dog were doing. He was contrite--said he just sat there because he was shocked by the near miss. Said he didn't see us--busy watching a car to his right. Left his name and number with promise to help with whatever my dog might need. Fortunately, Huckleberry seems to be OK. Can't get the image of the hit out of my head. I am very cautious at intersections when out with my dog but will double down on that from now on.
    I don't have an SCI--I have generalized weakness (PPMS) with POTS and gait problems.

Glad you are alright. A few years ago a taxi came so close to running me over in a crosswalk that when I looked down, I couldn't see his bumper. It was actually just edging under my seat between the seat and the base on my powerchair. I've had a few close calls, really close. Now I don't go anywhere without my day-glo Nathan NightFall reflective vest. I don't know if it's made the difference but I feel so much better crossing the street.

Again, glad you are okay, and Huckleberry :-)

I thought limiting my outings to daylight would be enough--think I'll do what you do and add the vest now.
    I don't have an SCI--I have generalized weakness (PPMS) with POTS and gait problems.

So happy to hear that you're OK. Do you have a flag on your power chair? They really help with being more visible to drivers. I used to have one on my power chair. But, I took it off. It seems like the number one reason why drivers can't see power wheelchair users is that the seat height is so low to the ground. I know mine is, and I've had a few close calls in my lifetime. I have these on my power chair now as sometimes I go to Fred Meyer at 7AM in the morning before work to pick up a breakfast sandwich before work. I love their breakfast sandwiches. The bike lights really help with making my chair more visible. Especially when it's so dark in color.
    Samantha

Dogs mask pain well. I'd still take him in for a quick check up. He may just have a bit of bruising but I'd want to be sure. Good to hear you're OK!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I'm glad you and your dog are ok. So far my dog and I have had only one close call but it is something I worry about. In a wheelchair, I am much lower than walkers and bikers. I used to ride with a bicycle flag hooked to my chair but it was somewhat unwieldy. I may have to reconsider.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Dogs mask pain well. I'd still take him in for a quick check up. He may just have a bit of bruising but I'd want to be sure. Good to hear you're OK!
    good point--will do this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by tauble View Post
    I thought limiting my outings to daylight would be enough--think I'll do what you do and add the vest now.
    I wear it any time I am out of the house, day or night. I know it looks geeky but I keep thinking about being in the hospital as an alternative. My girlfriend says it looks cool, she's sweet. For years I've also had a rule that I won't cross in front of a car unless I make eye-contact with the driver. Yesterday morning I stopped in the intersection at the last lane because the driver was looking straight ahead in to her rearview mirror doing something with her make-up. I stopped before I got in front of her and started waving my arms until her passenger noticed me and nudged her. She looked at me and I crossed.

If all of this sounds goofy, well they're my personal safety rules and they work for me. I am really frightened of being hit by a car. I feel like I can't take another setback and being in the hospital recovering and rehabbing and ordering a new chair .. I don't know if I've got that in me. I'm gonna wear my reflective vest and miss some traffic lights. I hate hospitals.

This is a terrible thing that happened but I am so glad you posted about it. Some really good advise here. I too have had a near miss at night..and will take more precautions due to this warning.

Hope you and your dog are well soon..emotionally and physically.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and suggestions. The vet said that Huckleberry has a small bruise on his flank but is otherwise OK. I ordered some reflective gear for me to wear and a tail light for the back of my powerchair for the few times I'm out after the sun sets.