Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new house

new house

Well, I am starting to design a new house. The one I'm in now was designed by my ex-wife and I right after my accident. For the most part we did a great job on the design and accessibility aspects of it however, there were several things we did at the time that were on purpose anticipating there would always be an able-bodied person in the house. With those small things in mind and wanting to move on and get out of the house that holds some memories I would rather not be constantly reminded of. With all that in mind, I purchased a new lot that will be great for a walkout basement and a backyard courtyard with fire pit directly off a tee from the golf course. With any luck, I will try to keep everyone up-to-date with my design and construction in hopes that it might actually be useful to someone else.

Wish me luck

Kspell,
    Let me know if you need help. I was a commercial contractor prior to my accident. I built a new home to fit my needs. Just make sure every door is 36" in the house with double doors for closets. You can have regular doors or pocket style doors that slide. My hall ways are 6 feet wide. It makes it easy moving furniture as well as getting around. If you design a bigger kitchen add an island and have a sink you can wheel under. It helps a lot. I wish you well.
    Best Regards,
    Joe
    joemonte@nep.net. email me anytime if you need help.

kspell --

Would love to follow what you decide as you start the design process.

I've been in a retrofitted house with fairly decent adaptions (the ramps and bathroom are fine, kitchen is meh, bedroom has a ceiling track for the lift...) but I just inherited my grandparents house on a great lot. The house is a tear-down though, so for the first time I get to design a house from the ground up. It's exhilarating but overwhelming, I almost don't know where to start. Hoping to start construction next June.

Good luck with your project.

Liisa

Two things I remember from previous versions of CC. First, for attached garages make sure you get an exception to code for the one step down from the house that most jurisdictions require. Then be at the site on the day concrete is poured because no matter what your plans say about a flush entry your builder will assume it's a mistake no matter how often you say differently.

From our recent bathroom remodel in a universally designed condo that is 12 years old, I would definitely line the entire subfloor of bathrooms with rubber backing and in the roll in shower a good ways up the walls. I wish we could have gone with a trench drain but that requires a bit more than 4" under the tile to install and we have radient floor heat too. So if you want both do plan on that depth up front. We do not have to worry about any mold though with the rubber backing in the shower surround and bathtub area or about 4 feet out. When we decide to do the second full bath we'll do the entire floor and up the tub surround walls with the backing.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Joe, thank you for the offer. I might take you up on that as the project continues. I thought I would load a couple of pictures that I have on my computer of my current house. Most of these pictures were taking in thoughts of just relaying to the new architect my "style"and certain material preferences.
    Kitchen: I definitely enjoy having the role under gas cook top. It allows me, a C-5/C6 to do a lot of stove top cooking. One thing I will incorporate more of in this new project is pullout cutting boards like you can see under the microwave.
    Workout room: if you look at the doorway you can see that the thresholds for my exterior doors; going to my back patio are raised, I would suggest that anyone looking into new exterior doors be mindful of the thresholds.

I should have my main floor footprint finalized next week, at that point I will upload it for everyone to see what I'm going with.
    Last edited by KSpell; 11-13-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: grammer

kspell...I designed my house and was actually being built, about 2/3 complete, when i got in my accident. I even have all of the blueprints. House is a large custom house that HAS zero modifications becaise pf wjat happened. I still have all blueprints. It is a very open house. Any hallways/doorways as stated make sure wide enough. Make sure wheelchair is capable moving in things like your bathrooms and you can safely transfer. You need to analyze and think your kitchen out. You need make sure you will be able reach everything. This includes your fusebox. There is A LOT. I designed my hoiuse with intention of being big. The design inside and outside sort of magically fit into what happened to me with ZERO modifications.

Sorry. I should have looked at pics before writing. You probably are aware of all I said based on pics of current/old house.

KSpell, really nice bath! I'd lower towel hooks but the light flip switches are even a decent height. I like the tiling especially since you have sunlight in your space. Is that the idea shots and you'll use those as possible in the the new house? Living in the north remember how cold it can get if you park in a third unconnected garage and have to roll to the front door. Nice front though. I'll be watching for how you do your kitchen because I want to do a few mods like lowering a microwave and putting a pull out beneath it too. The hubby cooks a lot and needs the exhaust hood raised because he keeps crashing into the current one.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

KSpell,
    Are you ablke to open your windows? My windows are pull up - push down windows and I am unable to open them o my own. I am also a quad C5-C6. My windows need to be replaced. I was wondering if the sliding windows were easier than the windows with the crank [I think they may be called casement windows]. Have you thought about your windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Two things I remember from previous versions of CC. First, for attached garages make sure you get an exception to code for the one step down from the house that most jurisdictions require. .
    I had this done in my house. My gas furnace and water heater are on an elevated platform in my 2 car garage with 2 cement posts infront of the platform. The garage has a mild slope leading out to the driveway. I can roll from my garage through the laundry room directly into my kitchen quite easily.