Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand controls

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Don't let go of the steering wheel. Learn how to use one hand to control both at the same time. I steer with my thumb while gripping the hand control. The other hand is also on the wheel, or not.

MPS Monarch right-angle works well for this because it has a long lever running behind, parallel to, and extending beyond the steering wheel. Just don't grab it by the handle but grab it closer to the steering wheel so you can control both at the same time. You can do this with push-pull too but only if installed correctly. I use a portable push-pull. It works great and is easy to install and it is easy to adjust its position.

http://www.wheelability.com/
    I have used the right angle in the past but even with the flared up handle, I hit my knees with them as I am long in the legs. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    The tiptronic is not button or paddle, it's the shifter itself. I imagine I will end up with suregrip push/pull or rocker. I have a set of push/pull I brought back from Europe and will check them first. Thanks for all your input
    Is the shifter/tiptronic control on the center console?

I've seen shifters where you moved them left or right to shift up or down in a manual mode.

Pushing the shifter left or right actuated switches.

Post some pics of what the center console.

A set of Veigel hand controls might work if you can use your right hand to do the gas brake and have it installed right next to the tiptronic control?
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Is the shifter/tiptronic control on the center conso I've seen shifters where you moved them left or right to shift up or down in a manual mode.

Pushing the shifter left or right actuated switches.

Post some pics of what the center console.

A set of Veigel hand controls might work if you can use your right hand to do the gas brake and have it installed right next to the tiptronic control?
    That's quite interesting... It is center consul, shift up and down. Never really thought about using my right hand for doing all three! Only draw back I see is having to left hand brake while you right hand park, drive, reverse when strictly in auto mode! What do you think anyone?

Ya, you could always wire in a switch right on the sure grip controls for the shifter if you were so inclined. With my car there are paddle shifter buttons on the backside of the steering wheel and I don't have any problem using them using with the handcontrols. A shifter on the center console is another story, it's a little tougher keeping your hand on that especially if you are entering a corner. I use to have that set up in my pontiac g8gt.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    That's quite interesting... It is center consul, shift up and down. Never really thought about using my right hand for doing all three! Only draw back I see is having to left hand brake while you right hand park, drive, reverse when strictly in auto mode! What do you think anyone?
    The Veigel hand controls have the ability to hold the brake on.

No need for left hand brake.

If i were to guess you could have the shift up and down added to you current style of hand controls.

What kinda of car are you getting?

Veigel hand controls are really nice especially for european vehicles.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I bought a slightly used 2012 Scion TC. I bet the next model comes out with paddle shift but that's probably another 3 years away. Probably going to go with push/pulls or rock backs.
    Test drove a car with Viegels, wasn't for me! There is a company quite close to where I live that makes aftermarket paddle shift systems that could be installed but probably beyond my budget
    I'll post pics of the center consul and controls once they're in. I have work next 4 days so might be a while.
    Thanks everyone