Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to SCI

Sleepwalking 6 years ago. T8 burst fracture ASIA A.

short and sweet. 1998 came up short on a long double motocross. c7. Regained most function 2011 160mph get off on my race bike landing into a pea gravel area that stopped me too fast and shattered T6-7-8 and now I'm a T4. waiting for the charmed third time lol

Quite a few bike accidents here, mine too but not nearly as thrilling a fall as some of the others here. It happened in December 1981, a cold and slightly rainy/wet-snowy night. Was riding to work (the bike was my only means of transportation) at around 25 mph when the bike started stalling out although it had been running like crap all night. I took my left hand off the handlebar and leaned to the left to check the gas/choke. If it weren't for the 2 or 3 beers in me I probably would've looked up sooner to see that I was veering off the road and about to sideswipe a utility pole. Next thing I remember was waking up in the middle of the road flat on my back. The inside of the visor of my fullface helmet was covered with feathers from the down jacket I was wearing. The 1st person to respond was a volunteer fireman/EMS trainee who was also an old friend from high school. I asked him to remove the helmet because I was beginning to choke on the feathers but he didn't want to move me until the EMS workers had arrived. I couldn't do it myself because my right arm was paralyzed from the accident (brachial plexus root avulsion).

Next thing I remember was waking up in the ICU with my father looking over me and him having a huge bandage on his forehead. Turns out, he had an accident on his way to see me in the hospital where someone pulled in front of him from a side street. He had a pretty big gash on his for head but otherwise was okay thank God! Things got even more messed up later on; I have my father's name so for a while there after he had his accident, some of the EMS workers and cops heard about it on their radios and thought I'd had my motorcycle accident, got discharged from the hospital then had this car-totaling car accident!
    Dan G. in CT

A tree fell on me during a tornado.

On a bike ride at lunch - car slammed into me and I was folded in half (backwards) under the car.

I like hearing about everyones story, for each of us, no matter the exact situation I bet the SCI was one of the biggest most major things to ever happen to us. I know I still play it back over in my mind years later.

Careful cfx things do happen in 3's!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBiker View Post
    I like hearing about everyones story, for each of us, no matter the exact situation I bet the SCI was one of the biggest most major things to ever happen to us. I know I still play it back over in my mind years later.

Careful cfx things do happen in 3's!
    Not me I try not to think about that last second, when I realized that the motor was not responding and I was going to hit about 2 feet below the runway, crap you guys got me thinking about it again.

But my first time being paralyzed was very different, it happened slowly and took me five years to figure out. Being sick all the time and having no energy, going to doctors a lot, and the last one telling me to just live with it. Finally figured it out on my own, that my Vagus nerve had an incomplete paralyzes, (paralyzed stomach) and I would never be the same again. Having food rot in my stomach is just as bad if not worse then my SCI.
    O well, managed to get some cream of wheat down, so its off for a hand cycle ride.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old