Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to SCI

Lost control of my motorbike, gave it too much throttle and it pulled a wheelie at about 80mph, put it back down too hard and got a massive tank slapper, veered off and went through a chain link fence. Bike went though the fence and i hit the metal post and got folded in half. Just a mix of inexperience and bad luck but at least it was my own fault and not someone else, made it fairly easy to accept and move on.

Riding again now, doing track days on my R1!
    Last edited by SuprSi; 02-12-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

So Megs how did you whined up here, and whats your life story all about. Guess its your turn.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Fell out of a semi (parked) only 4 or 5ft. T12 bone burst. Ain't that a bitch?? Ppl crashing planes, falling 30ft+ and this measly 5ft fall does all this...crazy. so what's your story?

Flew out back window in 2 vehicle auto accident. Was driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Megs View Post
    Hi All..
    So I'm very new at this and was wondering if anyone would mind sharing how your SCI occurred?

Thanks
    X x x
    ...... a flying trapeze.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Motorcycle accident........car did not see me and pushed me off the street

Trampoline accident here when I was 17...I was on a big backyard trampoline with two others. My brother accidentally landed on top of me as I was sitting.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

This sounds crazy but Jan 30th this year I was standing in my kitchen working on a blower motor for my truck. I was bent over and prying with a screw driver trying to get the squirrel cage off the motor. I had the motor between my knees with my chin tucked into my chest and when I stood up Pain like I've never had before in my neck. I had sweat dripping off of me making a puddle on the floor. My wife tried to help by putting ice on my neck but I could not take it. I just tried to find a position that it would not hurt as bad so I went to my bedroom and about 20 min later I couldn't move my legs or arms then I found it was hard to breath. My wife called an ambulance and the first hospital we went to said it's only a back ache return to work Monday. WHAT I CAN'T MOVE!! I had no insurance so they put me out. My wife called our family Doc and told him what happened and he tells her to take me to Pittsburgh NOW it is serious. So long story short, I have Central cord syndrome. I go for surgery April 8 to have 2 disc removed and replaced with cadaver bone with some screws and metal plates for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    For someone so freshly injured (December 27, 2012), this seems an odd question to ask. You don't have questions about how to maximize your function instead of asking what happened to each of us?
    getting paralyzed was one of the most important things to ever happen to me. Sure it sucks sometimes but I respect it and celebrate every year.

by the way I was paralyzed 30 years ago today practicing for 1st moto cross race of the season. Was riding alone on a practice track and came out of a turn in 2nd gear and somehow got thrown over the bars and poped my back out of joint. Laid there for hours caught hypothermia then somebody found me and ran over and woke a neighbor up who was doc. The got me in the ambulance my heart stopped on the way but i cam back and they flew me up to sacred heart in Eugene where it was ify first 2 weeks but I woke up and here I am.

That is one of the things that brought me back to care cure recenlty. I have been a distant observer or this group and others like it for years, they are very important to many of us disabled and the people close to them.

My research thesis in college was around internet groups serving the function of a community for many people with disabilities.