Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: orange mold?

  1. #1

    orange mold?

    Today, my handheld plastic urinal I had been using without problem for several months had an orange mold-like substance in it, after washing. I typically rinse it with Urolux (I do not let it sit for 15 minutes or brush it out like the instructions suggest though). The mold is kind of sticky looking with small raised dots throughout, if that helps.

    Anyone know what this is, and if I should be concerned?

  2. #2
    I would mix up a strong solution of chlorine/water and submerge the urinal in that solution for 10 or so minutes, wash in mild soap and rinse with hot water and allow to air dry on a clean towel. That should kill just about any thing. If the urinal is just regular plastic (not latex), I would continue to clean it with a 10%-20% bleach solution. Save the expensive Urolux for latex leg bags.

    All the best,
    GJ

  3. #3
    Good points gjnl. Also it is plastic and only has a certain length of life with it's use. If the suggestions made don't work then get a new one and recycle the other.

    pbr

  4. #4
    I definitely sealed that thing in a plastic bag and threw it out as soon as I saw it. Any organism that can survive being in a body, being doused with Urolux, and in a fairly small number of hours cover a side of a urinal is one I do not want to try and outmaneuver.

    I was more wondering what could do that. I actually plan to throw out my apparently clean urinal now too (I have two), maybe these only last a few months?

    Frankly it freaked me out: if Urolux cannot kill it, and if it grows that fast in a clean plastic bottle, how can I have any hope of killing it inside my bladder? Turns out I do have a UTI too.

  5. #5
    If it said to keep in there for 15 minutes and brush out then that is what you need to do. Some take that amount of time to kill other things have to airdry in order to be effectiver but I have never seen orange mold.
    CWO

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I would mix up a strong solution of chlorine/water and submerge the urinal in that solution for 10 or so minutes, wash in mild soap and rinse with hot water and allow to air dry on a clean towel.

    GJ
    So, I threw out the original urinal because this method sounded too complicated for me. But the mold came back and even running in a high-temperature dishwasher did not seem to help. So I tried this method and it worked, thanks.

    The only thing I did differently is that I just filled the urinal with bleach and water and let it sit for a while. I don't really have a way to submerge the whole thing in bleach. (I guess I could use the sink, perhaps, but not really sure how to handle some bleach solution).

  7. #7
    Senior Member skippy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a handbasket
    Posts
    2,537
    The mold is not in your body. In my part of the state, we have a slime mold that sounds like this. It is sort of a pinkish orange. It formed in the standing water of the unused toilet in an inaccessible bathroom. Once it is there, it is hard to get rid of. It just keeps on returning even with a bleach clean.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

  8. #8
    Hi xsfxsf,

    Just found this on the internet.

    Slime molds in the genus Fuligo are organisms that can appear bright yellow to orange, fading to brown and tan as they dry. They pose no threat to plants, animals or children, but they look awful and might be distracting at a garden tour or barbecue.

    Slime molds can appear bright yellow to orange

    You won't find any miracle cures for slime molds because chemicals do not kill nor eliminate it. In fact, chemicals can do more harm to the applicator and the environment!

    The best approach to controlling these unique organisms is to try changing the environment in which they grow. Slime molds and other such organisms will not grow well in dry situations.
    The above article exerpt says that orange mold is harmless but I would treat it as any other type of mold... like black mold. You don't want to breathe any of it in, especially the spores.

    I was trying to find a picture of what you described but couldn't... even at Google Images. But here's a YouTube video that may come close.



    I'd get rid of any urinal that has it in or on it. Or at least give it a good soaking and then scrubbing with a 20% bleach solution. Add a squirt of dish detergent in there for good measure. When finished wash your hands well. Most importantly try to find the source of it. You're getting those spores from somewhere... maybe under the sink or somewhere out of easy view.

    Good luck.

    Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

  9. #9
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    thats what I was thinking bob, that there is mold growing in the house somewhere, and it sent out spoors. the urinal is just a place that had a good environment for the mold that blew into it riding on the air currents in your home.

    If you see more mold growing, maybe you should get your air vents and ducts checked.

Similar Threads

  1. slime mold and mushrooms
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
  2. Slime mold: how amoebas become a multicellular organism in times of distress
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 02:00 PM
  3. Bleach Found To Neutralize Mold Allergens
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 07:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •