Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While you're figuring out if you have a UTI, are you wearing depends?

Blog Entries

While you're figuring out if you have a UTI, are you wearing depends?

So, I've been flushing with the Vetericyn for 3 weeks and I started leaking....again. That is the only syptom I get when I have a UTI. Looks like I have gotten one yet again but culture comes back negative again! Soon as I go on Cipro, incontinence goes away. I know from reading here that I shouln't treat with antibiotics until I get a positive culture but past experience shows me that it can't be anything else causing the bladder spasms or else the cipro wouldn't work...right?

Also is everyone else who has the incontinence wearing depends or how else do you deal with the accidents and still live your life?

Please be careful using the antibiotics. You don't say how you manage your bladder. That would be helpful to know in order to give you some suggestions.
    CKF

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I use IC and been trying out the advice here on Vetericyn for the last month. No UTI's for years then had 3 in last 4 months. Got this UTI while using the Vetericyn. Again, I am guessing that it is a UTI since the culture came back negative, but this is exactly how my body has acted at the last 2 times. My doc suspects it is a UTI and gives me the cipro which does get rid of the incontinence in a few days. What else could it be but a UTI that would respond that way to Cipro?

It's probably a colonization,which is responding to the Cipro.

You could try cathing a little more frequently instead of using Depends. Also, stay away from caffeinated beverages. And drink plenty of non-caffeinated beverages. You could also ask your doc for a prescription of anti- choline rigid Meds to calm your bladder a little.

CKF

I use IC and take Ditropan for bladder spasticity and don't have many accidents, and don't wear Depends unless I run out of Ditropan or am going to be somewhere that I can't be sure I will be able to use the bathroom. I am quite sure that there is always bacteria in my urine but I can't feel the usual symptoms of UTI such as burning, etc. I only seek treatment for UTI if I have fever/flank pain. Does not happen very often.

Also, I had a bladder augmentation many years ago. Before that I could not stay dry for more than an hour.

Really couldn't live without Ditropan.

I think you might want to ask your doctor what he considers a treatable uti when you don't have a fever or flank pain. If you take ditropan or vesicare you might ask to switch because what works for some of us doesn't work for others. I consider leaking, if taking something like ditropan, to be symptomatic but I'm not a doctor just a patient who likes her dignity.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

you should have a culture done to see what kind of bug it is, and what it is sensitive to.

i get bad cramping in my groin area, and i have lots of accidents when i have a UTI. if i go in and get tested when i first think i have a UTI it always shows up negative, and sometimes will culture negative as well....but for some reason my body tells me i have a UTI was sooner than any test or culture will grow the bacteria. if i wait until i can't stand the pain anymore, and i'm having accidents every 20 minutes, only THEN will the uti show up. and depending on the type of UTI, the antibiotics will treat it. usually its cipro, but i have used other kinds as well. i am on several different meds for bladder spasms right now. but the last 2 weeks or a little longer, things have been ridiculous. i can't go a half hr without cathing now, otherwise i have an accident. and when i sleep i always have one. when i cath, i will only get maybe a few oz of urine, but that doesn't stop me from having an accident. for the last few years, all i wear are depends. i just don't feel secure without them, especially in public. i'm at my wits end.... i've been doing some research, and am wondering how well the botox treatment is working...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marielea77 View Post
    i get bad cramping in my groin area, and i have lots of accidents when i have a UTI. if i go in and get tested when i first think i have a UTI it always shows up negative, and sometimes will culture negative as well....but for some reason my body tells me i have a UTI was sooner than any test or culture will grow the bacteria. if i wait until i can't stand the pain anymore, and i'm having accidents every 20 minutes, only THEN will the uti show up. and depending on the type of UTI, the antibiotics will treat it. usually its cipro, but i have used other kinds as well. i am on several different meds for bladder spasms right now. but the last 2 weeks or a little longer, things have been ridiculous. i can't go a half hr without cathing now, otherwise i have an accident. and when i sleep i always have one. when i cath, i will only get maybe a few oz of urine, but that doesn't stop me from having an accident. for the last few years, all i wear are depends. i just don't feel secure without them, especially in public. i'm at my wits end.... i've been doing some research, and am wondering how well the botox treatment is working...
    As usual you guys are the best for getting advice from!
    This sounds very similar to my situation. When I took my sample into the doc last week, I did ask for a C&S but they called me yesterday and sound there was no bacteria, yet I know when the cipro kicks in today or tomorrow the bladder accidents will go away. Maybe taking an antispasm med will help, say if it is just my body responding to a UTI that is getting ready to go asymptomatic and my bladder is just sensitive to the bacteria growing? I also, like everyone else do not want to take yet another drug but will try if need be. Doing an IC and having to pull up pants and a Depends with an extra pad each time I cath is for the birds!

Nurse,
    Cathing more often doesn't make any difference either.

Thanks all....

Someone else posted Vetericyn caused negative C&S even in the presence of a UTI. On the other hand, these symptoms with negative C&S I have also had, in my case they went away after a few weeks.