Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going back to long tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I grab the tire 'as-needed'. Too much will tear you up. ...
    We're all diff, Axle. Compressed to just the push rim, my neuropathic hands turn useless in a heartbeat. Short tab rims (Surge LT) anchor my fingers and enable my palms to comfortably incorporate the tire treads, go the day with ease.

Controlling speed using just the Surge rims, the Griptron strip continues to nicely slide along under the thumb when just lightly pressed, grabs a whole lot more when pressure is increased. The tripping point takes some getting used-to but works well once figured-out. The times I've been caught downhill without gloves that rubber strip has proven to be a big help for these two wimpy thumbs.
    Last edited by nofuss; 02-08-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: surge comment

Nonoise, the more I think about it, the more I think the surge may be the way to go. Just have to have one rule. Always wear gloves outside.
    I hate gloves. Even gardening I won't wear anything more than surgical gloves. Ha, you wanna stop quick? Try those and vinyl covered rims. Good way to land on your nose. I grab one side and then the other coasting down the middle of the street to get out front of my house.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Who am I kidding? I hate gloves too. It's like shaving. I do it as needed, not just because I woke up. With that in mind, it doesn't matter how good the surge may be for the application if they aren't appropriate for me. If I am not going to wear gloves religiously, which I know I won't, natural grip may be a better choice for me.

I wear gloves all the time, I also wear wrist braces all the time though and have skin that abrades and tears easily. So I have to protect the skin on my hands and the wrist braces too.

I use natural fit LTs. I LOVE them. I'm a newer chair user and started off with them right off the bat. My hand is too tiny to grab the tire too. I can't use them without the thumb ring, they immediately caused thumb pain for me. The full sized NFs caused hand pain in the center of my palms, but I've got some tiny kids sized hands.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Newer chair user? This website is a good find for you. I wish I found it 30 years ago. All the support really helps to speed up the process. Thumb and wrist pain is why I am looking to go with NFs. Interesting that you require the thumb ring. I was wondering if that would help or hurt.

Yep! I did a ton of research before getting my first ultralight and ended up here. I'm glad, I got a nearly perfect first chair. Only thing not perfect is the rsh and I wish I had researched tires and wheels as well and tried for better options through medicaid.

I tried the NF LTs without thumb ring on the demo chair, and my thumbs hurt pretty quickly. I had issues with the joint at the base of my thumb, my wrist braces may have exacerbated whatever positioning was causing it. When I got my chair they mistakenly had full size NFs on it so I used those for a while before they were returned and put my LTs on. The thumb issues never even started, but I had the hand pain. I remember part of it was that soreness in the center of your palm. Everything's been perfect since then! I've tried pushing on the tire when wearing winter gloves that didn't have something for traction on the palm, and it became too painful to continue after a few minutes.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I grab the tire 'as-needed'. Too much will tear you up. Who wears gloves all the time?
    I do. I never push outside without gloves on. They can be a hassle but without them I didn't have the same grip and the skin on my fingers was shredding. Gloves prevent that. I've tried different ones over the years and haven't found the perfect pair yet, only pairs better than the last. Also on the short-tab thing, I can't stand them. I can see their advantage but not for how I push. I also tried both sizes of NaturalFits and that was the most painful thing I've done with a chair. Spreading my hands that wide gave me excruciating pain. And I think that's where I can make a good point. Equipment isn't right or wrong, it's right or wrong for you. People love NF's, I can't used them. Short-tabs for some, not for others. There is no right way to set a chair up except in that it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I do. I never push outside without gloves on. They can be a hassle but without them I didn't have the same grip and the skin on my fingers was shredding. Gloves prevent that.
    Same for me even in summer I wear heavy gloves.

I've never worn gloves, push the short tab, and grab the tire most of the time. I will never go back to long tabs. There have been too many times where I just barely fit through a door or between cars in a parking lot or through that space between my GF's cupboard and her dishwasher. Even an additional 1/2" would prevent me from doing so.

I don't wear gloves because I feel like skin on metal gives me more control and better command. I would also lose them a lot.

some of you are talking about how your hands get 'torn up" or "burned" or "shredded" or talk about pain. I'm willing to bet that if you made those changes and used them for a few months you'd be fine - you'd develop different muscles in your hand and grow thicker skin where needed. Everyone's different, but bodies do adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I've never worn gloves, push the short tab, and grab the tire most of the time. I will never go back to long tabs. There have been too many times where I just barely fit through a door or between cars in a parking lot or through that space between my GF's cupboard and her dishwasher. Even an additional 1/2" would prevent me from doing so.

I don't wear gloves because I feel like skin on metal gives me more control and better command. I would also lose them a lot.

some of you are talking about how your hands get 'torn up" or "burned" or "shredded" or talk about pain. I'm willing to bet that if you made those changes and used them for a few months you'd be fine - you'd develop different muscles in your hand and grow thicker skin where needed. Everyone's different, but bodies do adjust.
    My primary reason for wearing gloves is that I don't want city filth (any city's filth) and the god-only-knows-what that comprises it all over my hands. Sure, my fingers are exposed but I don't grab the tire with them.