Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going back to long tabs

Going back to long tabs

Always had long tabs before I recently got these short tab handrims. Because I added an inch to the seat width and wanted the overall width to be the same, I went with short tabs. They felt fine when I tried them out.

But after using them for several weeks, I am starting to feel a strain on my hands and wrists. I think the reason is that with short tabs I have to restort to pinching the handrim with my thumb and index finger whereas with long tabs I can cup the handrim with my palm. Another reason is that I have to twist my wrist (parallel with the wheel) to hold the short tab handrims whereas my wrist is straight (parallel with the floor) with a long tab.

They say the average wheelchair users pushes 2000 times per day. That's a lot of repetitive use of the hand and wrist muscles that can be avoided with long tabs.

Did someone say natural fits?

I think most people who use short tabs also grab the tire.

That is what I do. Although there are times when it is just too nasty.

For outdoor use, especially off-road with MTB tires, I would like a 2" tab with a nice beefy handrim. But I have not been able to find anything like that.
    Last edited by Axle; 02-08-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    That is what I do. Although there are times when it is just too nasty.
    Gloves + a lot of hand washing.

Have you tried natural fits? Do you prefer the 'grab the tire' method better?

Have you tried natural fits? Do you prefer the 'grab the tire' method better?
    Never tried the Natural Fit rims. Yes, there are plenty of times when I "grab the tire" (sounds dirty, don't it?). Fendered side guards wouldn't work for me for that reason.

Axle, I think you would like the natural fits or surge. I don't have surge yet, but they seem a bit better. I have two sets of natural fits, one is wider than the other and almost seems too wide. The other works fine, however I am thinking it might be even better without the thumb ring.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I grab the tire 'as-needed'. Too much will tear you up. Who wears gloves all the time?

Who wears gloves all the time?
    When I'm outside, always.