Thread: St. Lucia in March

St. Lucia in March

Vacationing with my daughters for nine days next month, anyone traveled to St Lucia with a chair.

I decided to travel over two days, staying at a hotel in the Miami airport. Never traveled out of the USA in a chair, I'm sure this will be an adventure.

Any advice...

Thanks
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

My wife and I traveled to St. Lucia in November 2011 for our honeymoon. We traveled there in one day and originally planned on spending the night in Miami on the way back, but our flights got switched and we had to stay in the San Juan, Puerto Rico Airport hotel. Overall everything was good. I am a complete T9/10 to give some perspective on my abilities. Getting on the plane was not issue even when we did not have a jetway in Puerto Rico or St. Lucia. The workers at the airport were very helpful. My wife and I stayed at a Sandals Resort, so getting around there was really easy, but they do have a different definition of what "accessible" means. The "accessible" places were not always very convenient, but everyone we interacted with was happy to help if we needed it. Remember that ADA does not apply down there, so don't expect everything to be accessible. I think the hardest thing we had to deal with was finding a Taxi that was easy for me to transfer into and get my chair in. If you can somehow set that up before you go to pick you up at the airport, it will make you life much easier. Other than that, have a great time and let me know if you have any specific questions I might answer.

that's neat that you are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    My wife and I traveled to St. Lucia in November 2011 for our honeymoon. We traveled there in one day and originally planned on spending the night in Miami on the way back, but our flights got switched and we had to stay in the San Juan, Puerto Rico Airport hotel. Overall everything was good. I am a complete T9/10 to give some perspective on my abilities. Getting on the plane was not issue even when we did not have a jetway in Puerto Rico or St. Lucia. The workers at the airport were very helpful. My wife and I stayed at a Sandals Resort, so getting around there was really easy, but they do have a different definition of what "accessible" means. The "accessible" places were not always very convenient, but everyone we interacted with was happy to help if we needed it. Remember that ADA does not apply down there, so don't expect everything to be accessible. I think the hardest thing we had to deal with was finding a Taxi that was easy for me to transfer into and get my chair in. If you can somehow set that up before you go to pick you up at the airport, it will make you life much easier. Other than that, have a great time and let me know if you have any specific questions I might answer.
    Glad to here that the locals are willing to help, I'm sure I'll need plenty. I have the transportation all worked out and the lodging is somewhat accessilbe.

If out to dinner in town are you able to get in to the restrooms or are the doors to narrow. Not expecting it to be very accessible but hope to be able to get in and out of places.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    that's neat that you are doing that.
    Yeah, been talking about doing something like this for a couple of years. Decided I better go for it before I'm old and tired. I guess I'm already old....

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Glad to here that the locals are willing to help, I'm sure I'll need plenty. I have the transportation all worked out and the lodging is somewhat accessilbe.

If out to dinner in town are you able to get in to the restrooms or are the doors to narrow. Not expecting it to be very accessible but hope to be able to get in and out of places.
    Most of the bathrooms, even the ones at the resort had doorways that were too narrow for the stalls. I could get in, but the stalls would not fit my chair. If I was using a public restroom, I just had to either block the door, preventing people from coming in, or just go over to the corner and hope no one is feeling particularly adventurous.

Attachment 48974

Attachment 48975

Had a great trip, St. Lucia was amazing...