Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip

Road Trip

Hi all
    We are planning a trip to the USA and part of the trip is going to be a Road Trip from San Francisco, Las Angeles, San Diego ending in Las Vegas. We are looking to do that over 9 days, maybe skipping San Diego. We are going to book our accommodation in SF and LV the rest we will do a bit homework and decide when we get there. Our date is going to be early August.
    Any Advice will be appreciated.
    Rikus

Hilton.com is your friend, I've stayed at Hiltons, Hampton inns, Hilton Garden inns and double trees for many years and have found the accessiblity and amenities to be great.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Skip LA. Keep San Diego.

Plan to take Hwy 1 south down the coast from San Francisco to include Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Cambria, and Moro Bay, then to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Drive through Malibu on Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy) instead of taking 101 to LA. Stop in Santa Monica and Venice, and then head on down to San Diego.

http://www.asd.travel

Alternatively, instead of doing the coast, head to Yosemite from San Francisco, although the Valley in August is VERY crowded with tourists, even on a weekday.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Skip LA. Keep San Diego.

Plan to take Hwy 1 south down the coast from San Francisco to include Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Cambria, and Moro Bay, then to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Drive through Malibu on Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy) instead of taking 101 to LA. Stop in Santa Monica and Venice, and then head on down to San Diego.

Alternatively, instead of doing the coast, head to Yosemite from San Francisco, although the Valley in August is VERY crowded with tourists, even on a weekday.

(KLD)
    can i come both are beautiful trips

Skip LA. Keep San Diego.

(KLD)
    Ditto on the above.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hi

Thank you for the replies, we are heading there in 1st week of August

SF

- In the city I have stayed in four hotels

- westin: good, accesible shower/bathroom bed really high
    - club quarters: by far the least expensive. good accessible bath/shower low bed. some HC rooms really far from the elevator
    - Harbor court hotel: sucks, don't stay there
    - Hyatt embarcadero: great rooms, low beds. My preferred place but expensive.

Skip LA. Keep San Diego.

(KLD)
    How many days would a trip like this take? Where would the best overnight stays be? And lastly, is the Hearst Castle tour accessible?

I would take 4 days to do that trip ideally, although you could do it in 1 if just driving, but if you do that, you will not get to see the Monterey Aquarium, or drive the 17 Mile Drive (Pebble Beach), nor have time for Hearst Castle. There is an accessible tour for Hearst Castle, but you cannot see all areas that you see on the regular tours. Purchase tickets ahead of time on-line for any of their tours:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/tours/ac...designed-tours

I would stay in Monterey (2 days), in Cambria, and then in Santa Barbara between San Francisco and LA.

(KLD)