My boyfriend was in a car accident. He has a C5 break. C6 and C4 basically compressed together and shattered C5. C6 has a fracture but so minor, they weren't going to do anything about it.

He moves right arm a lot. When he arrived at ER, was moving both arms but since he has been in ICU and after surgery, has not moved left arm much. I haven't seen it personally but his family has said he has since moved his left. However, they are looking for any little sign to give them hope. I have hope for him, with or without movement. I just don't want false hope. He cannot yet squeeze hands and he does not have feeling in his legs.

I am wanting to know what I can do for him. I'm not just his girlfriend of 6 months, or a year, 5 years, or even doubled that. I know, why hasn't he put a ring on it! We dated on and off through high school (4 years) and this october will be together for 7. So almost 11 years!

I don't want to say the wrong thing and I want to be prepared for all the stages he will go through. He is unable to talk right now due to breathing ventilator. There are high hopes that he will have that out Monday, 2/11/13 and have trach put in. I don't want to say the wrong thing and I also want to be able to shoot down any negativity he has right away. I want to guard my spirit and hopes from the rollercoaster he is already begun but will soon be able to ride with a voice.

Doctors have said it is "highly unlikely" he will walk. However, after researching and finding this absolutely amazing site, I don't believe it even more!

Any advice is welcomed. I just joined this site tonight so even an email to my account would be great. heather@heathernikole.com

thank you anyone and everyone!

heather