Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Standing without proprioception?

Hello Darlagee, I am 3 and a half years with tm got most all back except my ankels and toes , i wear afo on both ankels. i walk with a walker and my feet kinda turn out as i walk to find where my balence is. i have strengh but my propreception is just not all there either. does any one know how to get it back? will it come back ? i can walk all day with the walker but only in the bed rom with the cane . but will not give up.

Add me to the list.

I feel the tingling and more like a pressure sensation.

Like Alhavel...turn out the lights and hello floor. Been that way for 23 years and never used a chair after rehab.

You can do it but you won't ever if you don't try.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have very little sensation in my feet. I can sense some pressure but it's not very defined. I walk with hiking poles and somewhat unaided at home (it ain't pretty). I feel fortunate to have come this far. For me, it was a matter of relearning and trying to throw away my previous expectations of how the ground feels. I believe in repetition. Repeat a motion and keep repeating. Be a student of it. Keep an open mind to using the motion differently. So, yes, stand. Keep standing as long as it is comfortable for you. Concentrate on it and read the ground as best you can. I don't expect my foot sensation to return but, with more time, I hope to find ways to adapt.

Yea I think that figuring a way to teach the brain to trust your feet is the answer. My sensation (or lack there of) is the only thing that has not changed one iota since maybe a week after my injury.
    I too am not holding my breath for it to return.
    Garro- That video was very cool. Thanks for posting. Man. To think 14 months ago I had absolutely no idea what proprioception even was. The things our bodies just do without our being aware of it really is amazing.

Yup. My father has no proprioception in his toes, although he does have a little in his ankles (he can feel when you move his ankles up and down...). He is L3 ASIA C and walks with forearm crutches and bilateral AFOs.

To stand erect and balance, you have to have 2 out of 3 systems working well.... vision, proprioception (the ability to know where your limbs/joints are in space), and your inner ear balance system (vestibular system).

So just loosing proprioception is not going to prevent you from standing and maintaining balance. But if you close your eyes once you stand, then you are done for! Then you have lost 2 out of 3 of the systems.

Also, by walking with crutches, the crutch itself becomes almost like another leg/foot that you can "feel" and will also help with balance.

But I still wouldn't close your eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cjt8 View Post
    the biggest help I think has been my past before SCI. I had great balance as a Trials rider and moving cattle on horse back as a boy.
    I did both those things as well!
    So many times i say "man, I'm glad I rode trials for 15yrs"
    It saves my ass over & over

Very helpful discussion.
    I also find that after standing and putting weight on my feet, the tingling and "sense" of them increases. Its like I feel them there, although not EXACTLY where.

I'm going to do weekly video updates of my standing exercises on my blog. Next month, it will be from a condo in Hawaii! So if the standing depresses me, the snorkeling will cheer me up

Hello, that video of the guy with no propreception was amazeing, he looked paraylized when he was laying in bed but he was not. thanks Steve. i think mabe we can do it too if we try.

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    Very helpful discussion.
    I also find that after standing and putting weight on my feet, the tingling and "sense" of them increases. Its like I feel them there, although not EXACTLY where.

I'm going to do weekly video updates of my standing exercises on my blog. Next month, it will be from a condo in Hawaii! So if the standing depresses me, the snorkeling will cheer me up
    For me (and this has been 20+ years ago), the more I learned my "sense" or sensation the more adapt I got to being able to place my feet. Even today, if a leg were to break and be turned backwards, I would not know it but I would know that my foot is touching something hard. It is really hard for people to understand that concept even some of my doctors. I still remember that feeling when they stood me up and I felt nothing. It was a horrible panic feeling and I remember asking the Physical therapist if my feet were on the floor. I couldn't see because the huge turtle brace prevented me from movement and I was afraid to look down. Its funny some of the things your mind just never forgets. That feeling is one of them.

The more you do get used to the "new you sense", the better you will become.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hello, Darkeyed Daisy and others on this post you are so inspireing to me because every one is on somekind of journey to keep strong healthy and to keep themself going. I never knew anything like what i am trying to do ( walk again) with the least amount of aids. thanks for your stories of hope.