Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best brakes?

Best brakes?

I have been using D's locks which don't work very well with folding chairs. All the back and forth wears the brake lines and they eventually break.

So I'm looking to switch back to friction brakes, but I'd like to get a good set if such a thing exists. What do you guys suggest?
    Last edited by BoyFallDown; 02-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.

It's what the hospital recommended for my first chair. I didn't know what to get at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFallDown View Post
    I have been using D's locks which don't work very well with folding chairs. All the back and forth wears the brake lines and they eventually break.

So I'm looking to switch back to friction brakes, but I'd like to get a good set if such a thing exists. What do you guys suggest?
    That's very interesting to hear about the folding causing the cables to eventually break. I don't have a folder but that's good information to have. I have D's Locks on my rigid and I love them. I haven't had any maintenance issues or problems though I have worried that the cable would break at the lever end from the constant movement. Hasn't shown any signs yet. I won't go back to other brakes and I really didn't like my scissor locks so I can't give a good recommendation here but I know you will get some good info. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFallDown View Post

When you say "they eventually break," do you mean this has happened on more than one occasion?

it's all personal preference. i like my push-to-lock, but some people's thumbs tend to catch on them - i haven't had a problem myself.

a lot of people seem to like the composite scissor locks. i bought a set but i haven't put them on yet. so far, i know that they will sit lower and may need me to bend over slightly to engage. i need to bend forward a little bit to fully lock the push-to-locks, but if i am sitting still on flat ground i can just lightly engage the wheels (so i don't roll unexpectedly) without any effort. with the scissor locks, they are either out of the way or fully locked.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lacesoutvic View Post
    it's all personal preference. i like my push-to-lock, but some people's thumbs tend to catch on them - i haven't had a problem myself.

a lot of people seem to like the composite scissor locks. i bought a set but i haven't put them on yet. so far, i know that they will sit lower and may need me to bend over slightly to engage. i need to bend forward a little bit to fully lock the push-to-locks, but if i am sitting still on flat ground i can just lightly engage the wheels (so i don't roll unexpectedly) without any effort. with the scissor locks, they are either out of the way or fully locked.
    I'm having a difficulty visualizing why you'd need to bend even slightly to engage the composites. Do you have any photos of yourself sitting in your chair?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    When you say "they eventually break," do you mean this has happened on more than one occasion?
    They just broke today for the second time in about a year. The tubes are too long and they hit each other when the chair folds and the wires bend. It's only a matter of time before they break. I've asked a few times if they could make me some shorter tubes but they said they don't do that.

For the composite scissor locks, does anyone have a brand name or link where I can buy them?

Whatever you do, do not go for regular composite locks. I've chopped the skin off my thumb on my Quickie folder's brakes. I've had them (clamp on) *fall off* the chair with my Ti, and at least have to tighten them almost weekly to keep them in place and working to any measurable extent. I even went iwthout them for a while, but that didn't work too well either. (I have no DME and no insurance for mobility..so I'm stuck. But hopefully you aren't, and you can get some awesome scissor locks.)
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

The composite scissor locks are made by Out-Front. (A few clicks are needed to find their scissor style.)

I loved having D's on my rigid chair. When I installed MagicWheels, I had to replace them: I chose the Out-Front composite scissor locks. They work pretty well, but I like the D's better, and would use them if I could. I fitted each side of the scissor locks with two #10x32 set screws to help keep them in place.

Any online DME (e.g., Bike-on or Sportaid) who sells NaturalFit handrims can get the Out-Front composite scissor locks for you; you'll need to contact them and ask though.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>