Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Quads who are not working - how do you spend your time?

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    I agree i love reading all the comments! I as you all know am not a quad but a mid level para at the T 6 area, i spend most days either watching TV or at doctors appts. When i am not there i am usually home with my 3 dogs. And they keep me pretty busy as well especially the puppy. I also read and search the internet and am on facebook way too much. I also cook dinner for the house and do the grocery shopping.
    You shouldnt even be answering for these guys, at a t6 para you should be able to do just about anything you want. I do . Why so many doctors appts ? I feel for the quads more than anybody, for those of you that keep busy & find a way to deal with what you do you truly are inspirational !!!!! I go on a special handicapp hunt & there a few quads there that spend alot of time hunting also. Keep up the good attitudes & keep pushin on you guys & gals are some tough cookies

My husbands not a quad. He has MS that has affected his legs, left arm, vision, and concentration so its very hard to keep him interested or able to do much of anything. He watches TV and listens to the radio. Hits pool balls around on the pool table. We also participate in disabled hunts and enjoy fishing. Winters are worst when its near impossible to get outside. Summer I built raised vegetable beds that he tends to. Also just recently purchased a Carvewright CNC router that hopefully with my help he will be able to pass some time making so nice signs.

I would make a pitch for 'The Great Courses' online courses by either DVD or just audio download - you can't go wrong. Only buy ones on sale. They all go on sale eventually through the year. I can attest to the musicology courses by Robert Greenberg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon fly View Post
    How are you supposed to jump out of bed and enjoy the day when you have unrelenting neuropathic pain? I'm not a quad either but my mobility has been severely limited by age (36 years in the chair) and increased pain. Can any of you speak to how to push through the pain without becoming depressed?
    If you force yourself to ignore the pain and get out of bed and do stuff that you are interested in, the depression will lessen. The pain/depression cycle is a positive feedback situation, and one feeds on the other. Once you feel less depressed, the pain will not be so bad. If you have anger about your situation or about your depression, that also exacerbates the pain, which makes yo more angry and depressed. Take a look at these 2 you tube talks on what pain is and isn't:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4eKFRxW6bc
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYAt41zoFw#t=25

I spent much of my first 5 years of crippledom trying to lessen my pain, but it just got worse over time. At some point, I realized that it had taken over my life, and decided to learn to live with it. The 2 things that seemed to help were massage and acupuncture, and in both cases I had almost no pain when completely relaxed, and the pain came back as soon as I got off the table. As I was writing this, by upper back felt like all of the muscles were knotted and on fire - I was thinking about the pain. I took 45 seconds, stretched, closed my eyes and relaxed, concentrating on the 4 points the pain radiated from, and it became bearable. I took 10 minutes and played a game of spider solitaire and was able to ignore the pain.

It should be obvious that this process does not always work, and that it takes some time to get your mind/body to allow/help the relief happen - this is a place where the power of positive thinking really works. If you are angry and or depressed about your condition, you need to stop thinking about how bad it is, and concentrate on the positive things in your life. The longer you do this, the more positive your life will be. You need to work hard to do this for a couple of months, but then it becomes easier, and - for me - I seldom have to even think about it - it has become mostly second nature.

If you "KNOW" this will not work for you it won't. Open your mind to the possibilities...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury