Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quads who are not working - how do you spend your time?

I felt that way for many years. I essentially paid for the privilege to work. My provincial benefits and my private long-term disability benefits were clawed back. Finally, in the mid-90s I had an able-bodied friend who had serious abdominal problems with adhesions. I saw how he was going through the same roller coaster feelings of self-worth related to being off work and on his LTD. He would struggle to get back to work until he wore down again. It was like holding up a mirror. In his struggle I saw what I was doing to myself by dragging my bony ass to work. Juggling work and pressure sores, bladder infections, and kidney stones.

I couldn't be happier working for no pay on projects that I feel are important to peers. Service isn't respected when it's done on a volunteer basis, but the rewards are great.

I said I wouldn't but I'll be doing more advocacy work. I'm in charge of getting our household crap organized including paperwork but that job should ease up by summer. I'm redoing a resume and yea, the last 20 years look lame to me even with what I've done in that area. I mean 10 years of PT 5 days a week just doesn't seem job like when you write it down.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I volunteer as a board member for around 4 different orgs and I head the finance committee for my housing co-op.

I also watch a lot of Netflix.

Part of the life-long process of adjusting to being "disabled" after a spinal cord injury is accepting the way things are & not continuing to beat ourselves up because we're not satisfied with our lives, b/c we're not working, b/c we're not leading a "typical" life, b/c too often our days feel wasted in front of tv, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. I'd be the first to say this is easier said than done.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Wabi-sabi. Although I brought this disaster upon myself, everyday is a good fun fight and I train with my warrior spirit to over come many more battles.

getting really drunk and having a massive hangover is something I avoid. While sobering I get these spells where I feel like the community in general see's the idea of wasted resources. Taking the edge of that is always fun, just pop a couple open and get giddy.

i do have a master plan for a sustainable life with out much medical resources. it starts on a ranch and its a 24 hour job similar to our quad survival life... just have a bunch of things to adapt tweak and tune. good luck all and stay solid!

I don't work, so I write, working on my phdthe longest bibliography in history72 pgs and growing and gardening and gormet food pretty much keep me busy.

i went back to work 9 months post. worked 27 yrs since in pain. so no magical answer. i just needed work.

Quote Originally Posted by creeper619 View Post
    My days are super boring. I'm always in bed. TV, DVDs, music and games on phone keep me busy. I'm up in my chair every other morning for about two hours then back in bed I go for the rest of the day.it sucks.
    Your photo is great, very creative. Maybe photography or other arts would interest you.

I just thinkof myself as retired.Soooo many people have 2 shitty jobs,get up early,coming home late,worried about getting fired....I have a friend that drives 200 miles a day from NY to NJ just to pay the bills..no thanks..
    I like pl;aying poker online and chatting with the players from all over the world....I ask questions... I also have netflix and a red boxright down the street.I just saw The Flight with Denzel washington,good movie have subscriprions to Motor Trend magazine and a few.. others.I listen to my ipod alot,put on some Metallica...I belong to a few..diffrent forums,Look into para transit,they will take you to the mall.
    There are alot of things tou can do if you keep focusing on what you don't have..you'll never get anything done.
    Nelson
    C-6,complete

Great points Nelson... Who wants a shitty job anyway? haha
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust