Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quads who are not working - how do you spend your time?

offroad - I want a husband like that! THAT sounds TERRIFIC .. save that I always have to have my own thing and have my own money.

I used to joke that I wanted to be an old lady with blue hair, driving in my barely used Cadillac to my hair appointment before my 'ladies who lunch' appointment while others look on with jealousy (umm, that would be me!) lol

You have carved out a great life for yourself!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    offroad - I want a husband like that! THAT sounds TERRIFIC .. save that I always have to have my own thing and have my own money.
    Bah! I want a wife like that.

I was injured in 1990. Decided to try and get back to work in 1999. Went to work at a medical billing agency and in the 3-4 months that I was there making around minimum wage, I lost part of my medical benefits. Buying the medical supplies that I lost after going to work caused me to pretty much break even. I ended up getting mild bronchitis just after Christmas of that year from having to travel to work through the cold snowy weather 3-4 days a week and ended up in the hospital. I quit because it was not financially feasible for me to continue... not to mention the winter weather that was ongoing. I keep my sanity by working on the computer, watching TV and movies and other things like designing new things, writing, art stuff and games. Not to mention a fantasy nap or two. (Laying back in my chair fantasizing about one thing or another until I doze off or get disturbed by telemarketers.) I also dabble with facebook and enter dozens of contests each day hoping to win a big jackpot. I also started hunting and shooting again 2 years ago which gives me some outdoor ventures to do throughout the year. Although, this year, I lost my hunting spot and also ended up getting a pressure sore which prevented me from even getting out of the house except for a short stay in the hospital over Thanksgiving week and will be having surgery on said pressure sore this Friday and will be in the hospital for about 10 days or so. (Yay me)
    Anyhow, lets just say that 2012 has been one of my shittiest years in the last 22+ years for even more reasons than I'll get into on this post. I will simply say that the only thing that keeps me from going off the deep-end at times is that my A.D.D. prevents me from concentrating on one thing for more than an hour at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I will simply say that the only thing that keeps me from going off the deep-end at times is that my A.D.D. prevents me from concentrating on one thing for more than an hour at a time.
    You must be ten times more self-aware than I am because I'm exactly the same way but never put it together like that. Gah.

I do occasional volunteer work for the Make-A-Wish foundation. They have a lot of volunteer opportunities and many can be done at home during your own time. This was important to me because I'm in pain a lot of the time and can't always function because of it. The pain meds to make it hard to function, can't concentrate etc. I hope this helps!
    Dan G. in CT

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post

I used to joke that I wanted to be an old lady with blue hair, driving in my barely used Cadillac to my hair appointment before my 'ladies who lunch' appointment while others look on with jealousy (umm, that would be me!) lol

You have carved out a great life for yourself!
    He is such a blessing! My sister and I have similar "old lady" dream. In addition to our "ladies who lunch" and spa appointments, We plan to rock our retirement community as our husbands sit on our retirement community patio playing poker and shelling out the cash for our old lady hip hop parties. Haha. Everyone knows there is going to be trouble when me and my sister show up. We recently rented a trolly with a bunch of people (and ice chest full of booze) and took a Christmas light tour. That trolly and those poor people will probably never be the same again. It was good practice for our future elderly parties. Hehe!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I'm a para that does not labor, on my career, any longer. I work tirelessly, though, on life. Homeschooling the children, tending the animals and gardens, nurturing relations with the better half, feeding my brain, laundry, dishes, vacuuming, on and on it goes, where it stops, nobody knows!

Oh, and, posting on CC too often.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    You must be ten times more self-aware than I am because I'm exactly the same way but never put it together like that. Gah.
    My self-awareness is due to the fact that I have O.C.D. as well, so when my mind does settle onto my condition and or life in general, I obsess upon it until the A.D.D. kicks back in again.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I am damn happy that I am not in a nursing home. This is really the only thing keeping me going. People who know me and the fact that I had spent 30 years working very challenging jobs all over the country causes folks to just shake their heads in sadness.

Believe me if I could change something I would. Having no family support and people/ past friends who I have helped their entire lives having disapeared since the accident, makes things almost impossible to do. Wasting time playing card games on computer, reading 3 newspapers, TV, buying stuff on ebay and writing letters to the editors is about what I do.

Unless of course the weather cooperates and then it's busting around the forest, the local ranch and dirt roads that amuses and sometimes endangers me. Fortunately the VA has provided me a couple all terrain power wheelchairs that helps me get myself in trouble. Only been hospitalized once and had the fire department, state police and local folks on ATV's searching for me because of it, SO FAR.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 02-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Unfair advantage here in Vancouver because the weather is liquid sunshine instead of tons of snow. Sailing three months of the summer. Hikes in the North Shore mountains using a Trailrider in the shoulder seasons. Peer volunteering at the local rehab. Developing web/Facebook content and training curriculum for EASE. Board and committee work for Spinal Cord Injury BC, Vancouver Adapted Music Society, and ConnecTra. Gardening at two community gardens and my roof garden. Meditation and movie night with my new neighbors. Energy work and acupuncture for my newly gimbeled arms. Not enough hours in the day!

Here is a great education site that might get you interested in taking courses: https://www.khanacademy.org/