Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quads who are not working - how do you spend your time?

Blog Entries

We go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstLast View Post
    Got interested, how do you quads (not working nor schooling) spend your days? How do you keep yourselves from not going crazy?
    That's just it, we don't. We can't keep ourselves from not going crazy. It's a pathetic existence, and near possible to avoid insanity. Medicare/ Medicaid acts as a disincentive for gainful employment, if you could even find an employer capable of seeing past our unconventional appearance enough to actually hire us. Ultimately, whatever we attempt, be it work, or hobby, everything in life requires an AB person standing next to us just to use their hands. Yes we can use our very capable brains, but we need someone else's hands to execute our commands, and what AB person wants to do this?

Yeah, it's pretty tricky to maximize what you can do without working hands. I hate having people hovering around, so I keep my workspace at about 100 degrees and try to do whatever I can myself on the computer. School, a home-run business, goofing off. My Fujitsu scanner has been a god-send, I can scan anything from bills and documents to books and no longer require a clunky page turner or taping sheets of paper everywhere. Ditto with a digital recorder to replace the cassette variety.

I'm lucky to be inclined toward languages and academics anyway, though I sure miss a more physical life.

Blog Entries
    "I hate having people hovering around, so I keep my workspace at about 100 degrees"

Nothing like a "few degrees of separation" Ha, Scaper, I love it. I thought I was the only one to make so uncomfortable for everyone else in order to encourage them to vacate my air space. After five minutes of looking over my should I usually hear,
    "Sheesh, you keep it so friggin hot in this room, you mind if I step out for some fresh air?"
    "Eh, not at all." "Just bring me back my hands please"

It does serve a dual purpose nicely.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    All we need is power gloves that open and close our hands. Shame that none have been designed by now. You would think it should not be too difficult now that they make robotic hands act like normal.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    That's just it, we don't. We can't keep ourselves from not going crazy. It's a pathetic existence, and near possible to avoid insanity.
    Hah, well said!
    Believe me, I do try to be as independent as possible. But keeping your mind together is a whole different subject. After a while I started to believe, that someone is making a bad joke on me. The fact is - in this life you have no but few positive things. Basically they tell you to be happy (and, yes, thankful to mighty God) for being able to breathe, poop and talk. It's insane!
    (sry if my english sucks, i'm not native-speaker. Just trying to express what's on my mind...)

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    It does serve a dual purpose nicely.
    I don't mind having my angels hovering around. You need a handsome manservant

I'd rather have Tim's monkey, no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    I'd rather have Tim's monkey, no contest.
    Dave calls me his helper monkey-in an affectionate way of course....

I wish he had experience or interest in computers, but he just doesn't and never will. The only thing I ever saw him read was "Walleye Insider" magazine and HVAC schematics.
    He just was a very hands on mechanical guy that loved to fish and fix things-and now his hands are a source of pain.
    Talking books put him to sleep and winters are hard-our street just got plowed out from yesterday's blizzard.
    So unfortunately that often leaves too much TV.
    We hope to volunteer at the zoo or VA, and then there is another set back.

It's been good to read people's comments about what their days are like. Often this life of not working & being home everyday feels isolating & different than the lives most people lead. At least we're not alone.

I can't help feeling like something of a failure since I'm not working. There's such a stigma to not working & being on disability (even though we have good reasons like all the daily difficulties & complications of living with a spinal cord injury) Anyone else feel this way?
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust