Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most amazing inspirational transformation

Quote Originally Posted by 7summer View Post
    Keep up the good work! Never give up. Hard work will pay off.

Blessings
    I like this fellow because they present no pretense of self awareness in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    Headline: Local lazy fatass decides to something instead of nothing! Be inspired!!
    First off this is the comment that I was refering to. Jodi obviously felt some sort of guilt for her comment and may have felt my comment had to do with her.
    No one has to apologize and didn't ask for one. This is a free country. But when I see people disrespect someone for no reason I have to say something. For that I won't apologize either.

Secondly- When you get return, that is all you get. You don't get strength, balance, proprioception, dexterity, confidence, etc. You get voluntary movement back. Nothing else.
    All those other things I mentioned DO take hard work to achieve. Like training for the olympics hard work. I can personally attest to that. Weeks and months go by without marked improvement and there are times when we ask ourselves if it is worth it to keep plugging away. We question why we are working ourselves to death. Is there any point?

I said before that I have no problem motivating myself, but don't feel the need to chastise those who may not have the same type personality as me.
    This really is no different than the able bodied community or any other disabled community. Just cause someone's injury isn't the same, the strength and courage to overcome it (even if that means living a happy healthy, and fulfilled life in the absence of any return at all) is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    First off this is the comment that I was refering to. Jodi obviously felt some sort of guilt for her comment and may have felt my comment had to do with her.
    No one has to apologize and didn't ask for one. This is a free country. But when I see people disrespect someone for no reason I have to say something. For that I won't apologize either.

Secondly- When you get return, that is all you get. You don't get strength, balance, proprioception, dexterity, confidence, etc. You get voluntary movement back. Nothing else.
    All those other things I mentioned DO take hard work to achieve. Like training for the olympics hard work. I can personally attest to that. Weeks and months go by without marked improvement and there are times when we ask ourselves if it is worth it to keep plugging away. We question why we are working ourselves to death. Is there any point?

I said before that I have no problem motivating myself, but don't feel the need to chastise those who may not have the same type personality as me.
    This really is no different than the able bodied community or any other disabled community. Just cause someone's injury isn't the same, the strength and courage to overcome it (even if that means living a happy healthy, and fulfilled life in the absence of any return at all) is the same.
    The guy tried nothing and got fat. Then he tried something and lost weight. What more is there to say really? Can't say I'm inspired in the least. Pretty sad what low levels of dedication we hold in regards to being inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Jody, don't you ever apologize for anything sweetie.
    trust me, Iv evolved into something less sweet than you may think.

Cripwalk-If you had worded it like that I would've had no problem.

But since either you didn't actually read my comments or are too dense, arrogant, or whatever to understand them I will explain once more.

My problem is with you disrespecting someone you know absolutely nothing about. Someone whom I know for a fact is not a "lazy fat ass".

I personally couldn't care less what does or doesn't inspire you.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You don't need to apologize. I get tired as well of people sharing stories of how they managed through their "hard work" to get out of a wheelchair and walk. The inference of course is those of is who can't are just lazy instead of the reality that unless there is some sort of medical breakthrough I won't be able to wiggle my little toe much less walk. Of course for people with SCI most of us would just be happy just to have normal bowel functionality not to have to stick our finger up our ass and dig out our crap. Would trade that for walking any day.

I am happy this guy got his life back together, but posting it here as inspiration was a bit insensitive.
    I didn't find it insensitive at all. I watched the clip, I giggled thru most of it especially when he fell into the cabinet. At the end when he lost weight and he could walk and run, I thought good for him. Yes, the video is hokey with the music and so called inspring words, but I get that its part of the "feel good" video. I think I lost grip, if I can't watch a simple video and enjoy it just because it had a overweight disabled dude who ended up walking and running. The message doesn't really work for me, cuz I'm well aware that I'm fucked and will probably be in this chair until I die, so no encouraging words are gonna get me walking. Anyway, I liked this video, then again I like all these happily ever after stuff.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Being paralyzed isn't the only obstacle in our daily existences. It's likely the biggest and most conspicuous, but surely (and yes, I'm calling you Shirley!) there are plenty of other areas for improvement in our life where we could still benefit from a little inspiration, from someone else's example of determination. Does the nature of the obstacle to be overcome have to be compatible to yours? This is not eHarmony. Should a quad not take inspiration from a para? Should completes be dismissive of incompletes? What committee is drawing these arbitrary lines anyway? It's not a competition, people. Everyone's got struggles, right? -- they come free with the oxygen we breathe. It's called the human condition. We're all looking for ways to improve our lives, to improve ourselves.

The guy featured in the video gets points for not surrendering, for shifting his perspective on what he could accomplish with what's he's got. There was room for his quality of life to improve and he took it.

Agreed Stephen.

You're really in a bad way when you lose compassion for the fellow human being.

'Course, if I was vent dependent and on care 24/7, I might hire someone to seek him out and beat his arse (kidding).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Agreed Stephen.
    Thank you, baby!

Ya, maybe you are right. I just have had one too many "paralyzed person walks again after [god| exercise |alien anal probe] stories emailed to me and have lost my sense of good will about it. I should have just stuck with what I said in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I didn't find it insensitive at all. I watched the clip, I giggled thru most of it especially when he fell into the cabinet. At the end when he lost weight and he could walk and run, I thought good for him. Yes, the video is hokey with the music and so called inspring words, but I get that its part of the "feel good" video. I think I lost grip, if I can't watch a simple video and enjoy it just because it had a overweight disabled dude who ended up walking and running. The message doesn't really work for me, cuz I'm well aware that I'm fucked and will probably be in this chair until I die, so no encouraging words are gonna get me walking. Anyway, I liked this video, then again I like all these happily ever after stuff.